Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: EAA cuts

The AOPA and the EAA are complimentary but not redundant organizations, and we'd be at a sore loss if they combined.

While they work together on the bulk of issues, they also work at cross purposes from time to time. They also have some key differences in focus.

The AOPA is very good at protecting GA airports.
    The EAA is very good at protecting what kinds of aircraft can fly to and from them, namely experimental ones.

The AOPA would probably roll its eyes and give a soft Internet "meh" if experimental aircraft were suddenly eliminated; it's the EAA that sticks up for us.

Without an EAA system of guidelines, tech advisors for builders and adminstrative advisors for the FAA and NTSB the homebuilding community would be ripe for slaughter. We really do need someone to explain to the Honorable Gentleman from Big City in Congress that yes, there are people that actually build airplanes in their back yards and that yes, they are safe. And to remind them that owning an aircraft is not the sole providence of millionaires and corporations.

And to back that up with a demonstrated system of checks and balances with both advocacy for homebuilding and policing by cooperating with alphabet departments of government.

Everyone agrees that reasonable oversight and regulation of aviation - including amateur built aircraft - is prudent. What "reasonable" means is the debate, naturally, with the EAA doing a pretty damned good job of striking the right balance (everyone has a gripe!).
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Chapter 10 (Tulsa, OK) held our first member meeting of the new year last night, right on the heels of this information. One of our more prominent and informed members took a few minutes to speak to those in attendance about the recent changes and also shared some insight as he knows several that were let go, as well as many who remain. The news of these events fell on a mostly surprised audience. Unfortunately, not everyone camps out on the EAA Forums the way some of us do, so most were unaware, which made for a lot of head scratching and questions to which we have very few answers. I heard a couple of people comment, "well, the goes EAA". Of course we hope that isn't the case... while we can't imagine that anything of the sort would be the intent, we are facing some new challenges at the beginning of this new year that were not on our radar. By that I mean to say... we've had a difficult time in the past trying to recruit and retain new members for a variety of reasons... now we have one more. The uncertainty that this information has created not only makes our newer members wonder if we are worth their time or effort, but it seems that some of the older crowd may also just throw up their hands.

We are a good and strong chapter, like many I've read about over the last few years. I've always felt fortunate to be a part of this group as we have a variety of people that really bring value and diverse skills to our organization. I'm fairly sure that we will continue on with the devoted members and volunteer support that we've seen in the past, but in order to retain the level of interest, or better yet, GROW that level of interest in order to carry on, we will require some direction and explanation of what it is that we stand for, and what it is that we are hoping to achieve. With the list of names of those that were let go starting to trickle out, and with the news that the B-17 and Tri-Motor tour stops have been cut dramatically, many are wondering what kind of shift we might be experiencing.

The member that shared information with us last night closed by saying that, “he is very concerned for our organization." I think that we all are, but all we can do is wait and see... unfortunately, this kind of "wait and see" environment makes it much more difficult to motivate people. Hopefully we will get back on course soon and be able to reinvigorate our members.

Having just read the letter from Rod that was distributed yesterday, I must say that while it doesn't answer all questions or concerns, it does at least seem that they may have our best interests in mind. Hard to tell at this point, but some of it sounds good, and I was glad to see that Paul was involved in this process. As the newsletter editor of our chapter, I'll be forwarding this letter to our membership tonight in order to keep them informed of what is transpiring. Our chapter will be holding our first pancake breakfast of the year this coming Saturday. I'm sure that these details will the talk of the day. Too bad in a way... we really should be talking about what events we want to plan for this spring. Hopefully this won't distract us too much in the coming weeks and months.

One last comment and I'll get off of here... I heard another member say, "If it weren't for bad press this year, EAA would have none at all." Now, I know that isn't exactly true, and I'm sure others do as well, but with all the discussion and debate over parking issues, magazine content and now this, it sure seems like a lot of people are upset. Several have stated that they will not be returning to Oshkosh... not what I (or other younger leaders) need to be hearing from the guys we look up to. What else will they not participate in? I just hope that we can turn this great organization around and rekindle the interest of those that worked hard for Paul’s vision in order to make it appealing to future generations, otherwise we have really got our work cut out for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    The membership has been reported to have grown from 165,000 to 170,000. If that is true, why the cuts?

Maybe the answer is so EAA can save up money to buy the new EAA corporate jet. (with discounts for marketing the jet in SPORT AVIATION, of course). The jet could be used for air to air photos and transportation to EAA events.
    I am not joking here, this seems the only logical next step to becoming another AOPA.

These are not "cuts" and it has been stated that they weren't done to save money but for other reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by flyunleaded View Post
    EAA is not the most financially transparent organization. I'm not sure that membership is anywhere near 170000. If you look at the last financial report on the web 2010 here on Page 25, and you take the "Membership dues and subscriptions" and divide by $40, the number is around 143000 members.

The key is to then look at the "Publishing and member services" numbers you see that EAA is bleeding money on membership.

It is clear that EAA makes their money on AirVenture and related items, like "Commissions and royalties" which is about branding and "Donations".

I believe that EAA should stop fooling their membership and just admit it, they are AirVenture, Inc. They are certainly not a homebuilder movement anymore.
    EAA hasn't been strictly a homebuilt movement since about oh I don't know about 1978? Not since they began welcoming antiques, ultralights, warbirds etc. This was Paul's decision and it was the right one or by now it would be maybe 1/7 it's current size (at best). A little group of old timers talking about the good ole' days. Now the way it is once a year we all bring out a our best gear and have a big promotional event for "sport" aviation. AirVenture's importance is not that it brings in income for this non-profit org but that it's a big party that promotes all kinds of aviation to the public and it does it better than any magazine. Thank Paul for that. Lets see AOPA pull off something like this.

There is no need to put "donations" in quotes. These are sponsors of sport aviation and they along with the volunteers make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Hangar10 View Post
    <snip>and with the news that the B-17 and Tri-Motor tour stops have been cut dramatically, many are wondering what kind of shift we might be experiencing. <snip>
    Mark, I wanted to take this snippet out, and give you some info to pass along to the concerned members in your chapter. The B-17 tour is going to make fewer stops, but will make up for that in higher volume locations. That airplane is not the most economical thing to operate. While it does a great job promoting EAA during it's stops, it just needs more volume.

The Ford schedule is still being fully developed, and I think people will be pleased when it's released.

I think we all want to see a lot of GOOD things from EAA in 2012.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    You can't do that. There are three classes of membership; individual @ $40, family @ $50, and life @ $975 (which I assume is prepaid and thus, for the most part, not included in the 2010 membership dues and subscriptions data). Since we have no way of knowing the proportion of each of the three cohorts in the EAA membership, it is impossible to use the presented data to estimate the total EAA membership.

What I did find interesting amongst the modest amount of data presented, is that on page 6 there is a statement that EAA membership grew by 7.1 percent in fiscal 2010, while at the same time, on page 10, membership dues and subscriptions income declined by about 0.3 percent during the same period.
    Bill, I think you explained this already. I can see this happening easily and my family is part of the reason. I went from an individual membership ($40) to a family membership ($50) which means we pay ten dollars a head with my wife and three kids added in. Throw in some folks that went with the life membership in 2009 would swing it also if it is not amortized over multiple years.

Jim
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grunloh View Post
    EAA hasn't been strictly a homebuilt movement since about oh I don't know about 1978? Not since they began welcoming antiques, ultralights, warbirds etc.
    The current EAA Director of Publications has almost no experience with antiques, ultralights, warbirds etc. and his articles have been about business flying.

Bell 47, antique
    T-6, Warbird
    Great Lakes, Sport

He is trying folks...

Saying his articles are nothing but business isn't quite accurate.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Thanks again Chad!

Again, I'll say it. The problem EAA has is an age problem. Look at the active members of chapters, what age are they? Why is it that they are all older, while there are very, very few young people?

Its an age crisis, and this might be their way of trying to draw more people in.
    KSCessnaDriver
    ATP MEL, Commercial Lighter Than Air-Airship, SEL, CFI/CFII
    Private SES