Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Hightower Resigns as EAA President/CEO

"Average people don't fly Barons anymore (or ever?)."

Average people don't fly. PERIOD

I used to fly a Baron. I traded it in for an O-2A. (Hard to say which I spend/spent more money on to maintain.) The O-2, or any warbird for that matter, is not average. It is, however, true EAA, just as much as Vintage or Aerobatics.

What is "average" anyway? One of the things I love about EAA and especially the Fly-In/AirVenture is the VARIETY.

Steve,
    I have had similar experiences over the past 20 years, it's something that makes the aviation community great! This thread shows us that EAA is a very American institution, lots of diverse comments and opinions, I even agree with some of them. We're now up to 14 pages an counting if HQ decides to create a survey they can glean a lot of good issues out of this thread.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe LaMantia View Post
    This thread shows us that EAA is a very American institution, lots of diverse comments and opinions, I even agree with some of them. We're now up to 14 pages an counting if HQ decides to create a survey they can glean a lot of good issues out of this thread.

Joe
    I agree. Despite my disagreeing with a lot of the "issues" mentioned, it is food for thought when it comes to do a membership wide survey which is exactly what needs to be done if a survey is to be done at all.

I have had similar experiences over the past 20 years, it's something that makes the aviation community great!
    Hell, I joke there are only three phases of flight I like: takeoff, landing and hangar flying! Cruise flight is boring and what keeps me in the hobby (besides travel) is the people involved in aviation that I meet while not in the air.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Kurt, the chalets probably would be welcome if open to all members. It would be a good gesture if the corporations paid for it for the members to use for free.
    The heat is a big issue for me, as well.(in my decision to attend). I suggested that ice water should be available around the compound. Either self-serve and free, or near free.
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 10-30-2012 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    Kurt, the chalets probably would be welcome if open to all members. It would be a good gesture if the corporations paid for it for the members to use for free.
    The heat is a big issue for me, as well.(in my decision to attend). I suggested that ice water should be available around the compound. Either self-serve and free, or near free.
    I've joked that the quickest way to be the EAA's favorite corporate sponsor would be to put in a few of those "misting tents" throughout the grounds.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Flunkn View Post
    CHALETS:

So far all of the posts I've seen on the subject of chalets were negative. However, I'm wondering how many people actually got to go in one. I did and it was fantastic and a godsend. There was a lunch buffet, coolers full of drinks, ice cream, AIR CONDITIONING, and shaded seats to watch the airshow.

How did I get in? A friendly EAA staffer noticed my mom's 1993 Oshkosh tee shirt and after a brief conversation offered us complimentary tickets. For the past 26 years, I've been attending Oshkosh with my mom and dad. They are in their 70's, have some health issues, and the high heat & walking wasn't agreeing with them. So, it was a godsend that the friendly EAA staffer comp'd us for one day. Otherwise we'd never have gotten in.

So while I understand the all the arguments against the chalets, my personal experience they were a tremendous help. 2012 will probably be the last year my folks are able to attend and a friendly EAA staffer did their part to make Oshkosh '12 a great experience.
    That's cool and I'm glad the EAA is willing to give every visitor to Oshkosh a free ticket to the chalets.
    Ryan Winslow
    EAA 525529
    Stinson 108-1 "Big Red", RV-7 under construction

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    I've joked that the quickest way to be the EAA's favorite corporate sponsor would be to put in a few of those "misting tents" throughout the grounds.
    You would think they would be appreciative but they probably wouldn't. More than likely you would get some backlash from some Jabroni about corporations taking over.

Quote Originally Posted by RV8505 View Post
    You would think they would be appreciative but they probably wouldn't. More than likely you would get some backlash from some Jabroni about corporations taking over.
    Probably.

So, I guess the question becomes, are you willing to give a little to corporations so that the organization receives sizable contributions to the bottom line, or kick that type of thing out and not have the money to keep EAA alive?
    KSCessnaDriver
    ATP MEL, Commercial Lighter Than Air-Airship, SEL, CFI/CFII
    Private SES

The EAA has been alive for some time now, but the quest for more money invariably leads to the disenfranchisement of the membership.
    Ryan Winslow
    EAA 525529
    Stinson 108-1 "Big Red", RV-7 under construction