Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: And The Announcement is..

Big Grin And The Announcement is..

The presentation is live now at:
    https://www.facebook.com/EAA

Solidworks is FREE for EAA members at www.eaa.org/solidworks
    Not sure what modules are available yet. I'm not at the presentation, only watching online.

Unfortunately I started watching late, and the feed cut out on me during the Q&A, but it sounds like the student edition has been renamed to the Student / EAA edition.

Edit:
    I went through the request process, and it allows me to select

Simulation
    Flow Simulation
    Motion
    Plastics
    Simulation

Technical Communication
    Composer
    Composer Player Pro
    Inspection
    MBD

Electrical Design
    Electrical Schematic

Product Data Management
    SOLIDWORKS Workgroup PDM
    Last edited by PaulDow; 07-25-2016 at 09:24 AM.

I haven't been an EAA member in a few years, but after hearing this announcement today I renewed my membership as soon as I got home from work. Solidworks is currently downloading on my computer.

This is an awesome membership benefit. Thanks to all at the EAA that came up with the idea and worked to make it come to fruition.

+1.
    This a cool EAA benefit.

SOLIDWORKS Support Volunteer Jeffrey Meyer's Avatar

Happy

Hi Guys,
    I'll be happy to answer questions on the use of SolidWorks on this forum

Jeffrey

I didn't install the software during the initial posting, so I didn't see the complete process since I was putting together a different computer to run this program.

Once I got it assembled, and all the Windows updates, the standard version is what installed as the student/EAA version. All the additional modules require separate registration numbers.

Now to spend a lot of time going through tutorials.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Meyer View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I'll be happy to answer questions on the use of SolidWorks on this forum

Jeffrey
    Jeffery, what's the min hardware to run SolidWorks?

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Jeffery, what's the min hardware to run SolidWorks?
    Here's a link to the requirements:

https://www.solidworks.com/sw/suppor...uirements.html

Bear in mind that CAD software is a guzzler of almost all computer resources - disk, CPU, graphics, memory.
    I use an "old" (2011) Dell Precision 4500 laptop with 8Gb memory, and it's good enough for 95% of my work.
    It depends somewhat on what you want to do with it - for example, if you want to make large assemblies (200 plus components) you'll need more memory (12-16Gb).
    For getting started you can use the minimum recommended requirements in the above link.
    Hope this helps.

I have my user name and password and am recognized by the system but not sure it is connecting me with my membership number. I can't get past the login page to download the program.

When I enter www.EAA.org/solidworks I get http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-member...esource-center

When I click on "Solidworks" under the Zeneth Cutaway I get http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-member...ent-design-kit

When I click on download Solidworks I get http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-member...-software-form To sign up for an account but it already has the welcome with my name.

If I reenter my user name and password it returns me to the sign in page. http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-member...-software-form

Round and round we go. ????

I have also tried the benefit access button but that does not get me where I want to go. It allows a change of password and edit of personal info.

Help!
    Last edited by jedi; 07-28-2016 at 12:57 PM.

Did you get to the screen that says you will be sent an email with instructions how to proceed?
    Did you get any such email?

When I tried it I also got the form already filled in, but I didn't re-enter information (lazy!) - just proceeded to the download page and then received the email instructions.

This is probably just a teething problem for this member benefit.
    Last edited by Jeffrey Meyer; 07-29-2016 at 01:29 AM.

1. Got the "SOLIDWORKS Download Instructions" e-mail from EAA
    2. Filled out SOLIDWORKS "Education Trial & Student Access" page
    3. Accepted usage agreement
    4. Downloaded the installer
    5. STUCK HERE: ran the installer but didn't receive a serial number to proceed with the install.

Any thoughts on why I haven't gotten a serial number? I'm registered with their DraftSight 2D freeware. Maybe they see me as an existing user. Thanks, Daisuke

EDIT: I posted this in the "Activation key problem" thread also.

Yes, I had the same problem. I tried an @yahoo.com email address and an @gmail.com address and never got an email with a serial number. I finally tried my work email (@_.edu) and then got a message with a serial number. I don't know if they're filtering out common commercial email providers. I also wonder if there's an issue with having DraftSight (their free 2D program) already registered with them.
    Last edited by ddoi; 08-03-2016 at 10:37 AM.