Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Piloting other people's airplanes...

Piloting other people's airplanes...

It may be weird, but I am really hesitant when in someone else's airplane and they say "you want to fly her?"

It's not that I'm afraid to bend their bird or be lack-luster as a pilot, I just don't like stepping into an unfamiliar aircraft and grabbing the controls.

Then again, when I'm PIC in a two seater, I don't offer the controls to the pilot rated passenger, so I guess the books are square on that.

Maybe if I were a regular in someone else's aircraft and was familiar with everything I'd think differently, but on the "one off" flight I'm happy just to follow along on the controls or enjoy the flight.

Am I alone in this?
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    Am I alone in this?
    It absolutely is weird. I do it too.

I do not want to just take the controls in your airplane. Before I do that, I want to know exactly what every button and knob does, the V speeds, and every other pertinent fact of how to operate the aircraft. Just taking the controls isn't something I like to do.

Really? I let seven year old kids try their hand with mine. Kyle, if you're borrowing my plane you'll need to know all the buttons and knobs, but if we're toodling along on a burger run and I offer you the controls it's not like I'm going to step out or anything.

Unless I'm going to have to land it, sure, there's usually nothing tremendous to taking the controls for a minute. For takeoff and landing, I'd want to spend a few minutes reviewing the speeds and procedures.

The last person I let fly the Navion (even land it) was Snowbird 10.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    Really? I let seven year old kids try their hand with mine. Kyle, if you're borrowing my plane you'll need to know all the buttons and knobs, but if we're toodling along on a burger run and I offer you the controls it's not like I'm going to step out or anything.
    You're not gonna make me defend the indefensible, are you? ;-)

What if you only fly single seat? Would you offer your airplane to someone if it's only a single seat. I have let others fly mine, but not just anyone. I have many video's of others flying my airplane while I stand on the ground watching and filming. But again not just anyone gets to fly my airplane.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    You're not gonna make me defend the indefensible, are you? ;-)
    Heavens no! I may offer but I'm not going to insist. If someone doesn't feel like flying, it's their choice. Likewise I don't expect to be offered the controls in someone else's plane, but I won't turn it down either.

It may be weird, but I am really hesitant when in someone else's airplane and they say "you want to fly her?"
    Then just say, "No thank you". I however like to fly other aircraft and like to let people fly mine. I have taken many people up who were not even pilots and let them loop and roll an aircraft.

It's not that I'm afraid to bend their bird or be lack-luster as a pilot, I just don't like stepping into an unfamiliar aircraft and grabbing the controls.
    Then just say, "No thank you."

Then again, when I'm PIC in a two seater, I don't offer the controls to the pilot rated passenger, so I guess the books are square on that.
    Your aircraft, your call. I look back to when I was an airport kid and a guy took me up in his L19 bird dog. He let me fly the plane - I am a pilot today in part because of his showing some snot nosed kid that he can fly. I met another man years later and he had a 1928 Ford Model A, he saw me looking at it and asked me if I wanted to drive it. He told me that when he bought it that he decided right then and there that if anyone showed interest in the car he would share it with him. I have that same attitude with my aircraft. I have let many people loop and roll a plane for the first time.

I will never be able to afford all the planes I want to fly. So when someone offers me the controls, I take them. And not everyone will be able to afford the planes I have, so when someone shows any interest, I let them fly.

I always offer - I rarely turn down the opportunity.
    1996 Quad City Challenger CWS w/503 - Sold
    1974 7ECA Citabria - Sold
    1986 Pitts S1S

If you love flying or an airplane, why not share that when you have another person with you, whether they are a pilot or not. Airplanes arent hard to fly, as for just making a turn or two or simple climb or descend a bit. If they were, no one could ever be a CFI or sales demo pilot and let others fly.
    Everyone has their own way of thinking, but I dont feel like flying should be hard and only reserved for those of us who have a pilot cert and pretend to be some kind of diety who is priviledged to actually touch the controls, unlike the great unwashed masses.
    I have always let everyone who flies with me take the controls when I can , just to get the feel and know they have flown. Even those who are not pilots and may be reluctant. I just tell them to hold the yoke for a minute while I look at the map or that flying is part of the ride. This includes kids that I have flown as part of Young Eagles. I HAVE NEVER HAD ANYONE AFTER WE LANDED, SAY THAT THEY REGRETTED BEING ABLE TO FLY THE PLANE. I had one young Hispanic boy about 11, reluctant to take the controls since he had never been in a plane. After we landed he stood up on the wing walk, put his hands over his head like that scene in the Rocky I movie and to his Dad, "I flew the plane", He was so excited, made my day. And he came back next time we had Young Eagles.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 09-08-2016 at 12:07 PM.

I offer the controls to everyone I take for a ride. Pilot or not.
    The best, most rewarding thing about being a pilot is being able to share the passion with others.

AND, I'll gladly take the controls of anyone's airplane who offers it to me.

I too have had young eagles exit the plane and run up to their parent(s) telling them "he let me fly the airplane".