Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Show at the end!

Big Show at the end!

In the last few years EAA has been able to bring in one of the big military drill teams to boost the attendance at the end of the show. I haven’t heard about that this year. Anybody heard anything on what the last weekend draw will be this year. I’m already feeling like this maybe an off year for the numbers. Obviously the concert is more appealing to the younger crowd. Any thoughts!

It doesn't sound like there will be one big name act headlining the air show, but that's been the case in many years. There will still be a big warbird show, and there's usually an F-16 or something to tear up the sky a bit. Attendance might be down slightly from the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels years, but I don't think it's a huge deal.

The opening night concert performers seem like a step down from previous years, but I'm not plugged in to the modern country music scene, and some internet chatter I've seen suggests they might be more popular than I realize.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity_Valley View Post
    It doesn't sound like there will be one big name act headlining the air show, but that's been the case in many years. There will still be a big warbird show, and there's usually an F-16 or something to tear up the sky a bit. Attendance might be down slightly from the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels years, but I don't think it's a huge deal.

The opening night concert performers seem like a step down from previous years, but I'm not plugged in to the modern country music scene, and some internet chatter I've seen suggests they might be more popular than I realize.
    I'm not familiar with the artist either, and I use the term artist lightly, but my wife has heard of them. Either way I won't be attending the concert. When I was there for REO SpeedWagon I just had to walk away after about 15 min. The crowd was so annoying and inconsiderate, I felt it best I just leave before, well, I'm old and don't tolerate being stepped on, pushed and my view being blocked ! Thank goodness I know my limits !
    Bob

Well, the big military teams that are coming to EAA AirVenture Oshkosh this year are the C-17 Globemaster III demo team and the ACC F-16 Demo Team (Heritage Flight only).

Quote Originally Posted by FlyinAdamBadger View Post
    Well, the big military teams that are coming to EAA AirVenture Oshkosh this year are the C-17 Globemaster III demo team and the ACC F-16 Demo Team (Heritage Flight only).

I won't mind not having the big teams there......maybe it will help keep the crowds of clueless wannabe photographers away. They are about as annoying as those who text and drive.

Last year the Blue Angles were the main attraction at the end of the week. There were issues with the clear area they need for their show. There are a few local farmers in that clear area the Navy requires for the show. I understand the EAA had a difficult time getting a few of the local farmers to leave their homes during the show. If the local home owners refuse to vacate during the show the military can't perform the show; this may be the case this year but just speculating. The roads were so crowded on Saturday last year that thousands of visitors never got in to see the show; trapped in traffic jams out side. Maybe not such a bad thing to not have the presence this year. This is, after all, our yearly convention isn't it?
    Marty

I have been coming to Oshkosh since it started on FRIDAY. The last day was never a big show and it was always pretty much a ghost town. While the EAA has done somethings (like preventing the vendors from pulling up stakes), they still encourage people not to stay by ripping out the essential services like portolets and the camping area showers while people are still there (and had PAID for the sites).

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    I have been coming to Oshkosh since it started on FRIDAY. The last day was never a big show and it was always pretty much a ghost town. While the EAA has done somethings (like preventing the vendors from pulling up stakes), they still encourage people not to stay by ripping out the essential services like portolets and the camping area showers while people are still there (and had PAID for the sites).
    I have never seen that on any Airventure grounds or any of the camping areas. Not sure what you experienced but things were fully up and running when I left late Saturday in 2017.
    Marty

Quote Originally Posted by Martyfeehan View Post
    I have never seen that on any Airventure grounds or any of the camping areas. Not sure what you experienced but things were fully up and running when I left late Saturday in 2017.
    Marty
    Happens every freaking year in Vintage if you're down south of Ultralights. They start removing the portolets and the south showers early.
    The FREAKING show runs through Sunday. And yes they start disappearing before then.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyfeehan View Post
    Marty
    A few years ago (maybe 3), on Sunday morning the company that cleans the "Job Johnnies" went to each group of them in the campground and locked all but one toilet in every group. They haven't done it since, so I suspect a lot of people complained. People have paid through the end of the show, they should receive the full services they paid for!
    Rod Schneider
    RV-6 N164ME
    B-17F N3703G "The Movie Memphis Belle"
    B-17G N390TH "Liberty Belle"
    B-17G N3701G "Ye Olde Pub"
    Liberty Foundation