Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3rd Class Medical Reform now Law!

The other dynamic is how the FAA personnel will respond to being "ordered" to act by Congress. I don't believe they will be responding favorably, and will likely respond punitively. At least that's what Bob Hoover says.
    Bryan

Houston

I'll bet the whole feet dragging thing comes down to no more than four or five people within the FAA and DoT that have some sort of deep animosity towards General Aviation.

Then again, I'd bet the FAA just wishes General Aviation would just go away so they could concentrate on the "real" responsibilities of commercial air.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

The 180 days since the law was signed is almost up. We anxiously await something in writing from the FAA.
    Latest news is the FAA has reviewed the AOPA online course and confirmed that it meets the requirements of the new rules. This is the course that pilots must pass every two years in addition to seeing your personal doctor every four years.
    Will the EAA have a similar course for us members?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger37 View Post
    The 180 days since the law was signed is almost up. We anxiously await something in writing from the FAA.
    Latest news is the FAA has reviewed the AOPA online course and confirmed that it meets the requirements of the new rules. This is the course that pilots must pass every two years in addition to seeing your personal doctor every four years.
    Will the EAA have a similar course for us members?
    If adopted by the FAA the AOPA course will be applicable to all pilots certifying under the new regulation.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Both the AOPA and the Mayo Clinic have filed on the docket (and met with the FAA) with the intent of offering such a course.

New FAR Part 68 for BasicMed. Effective May 1, 2017.

mayday 2017, how appropriate!

A nearly perfect new Rule. Great job by EAA and AOPA.

I recommend one tweak to it to avoid a near term pitfall since it is going to take a while for the Physician community (and their Insurers) to catch up with this, participate and enable this.

So to get over that, recommend the FAA tweak the Rule to grandfather an existing active FAA Medical to fulfill the BasicMed requirement. That way, a pilot with a June 2015 Medical could complete the Online Course, and Drivers License Registry consent, and continue to use that to fly till June of 2019.

ted

The new rule is entitled "Medical Certification of Certain Small Aircraft Pilots".

I'm 6'1", do I qualify?

Probably not.......I fly taildraggers...........
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
    The new rule is entitled "Medical Certification of Certain Small Aircraft Pilots".

I'm 6'1", do I qualify?
    Oh. I thought they meant pilots of certain small aircraft, like this one:
    Attached Images Attached Images