Thread: Help from the EAA to save the model airplane hobby

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hey Jack, Like sport aviation there are many versions of RC flying. I belong to an informal bunch of flyers and we all have electric powered foam aircraft ranging from backyard flyers, motor gliders, 3D acro types to ducted fans.

We are very lucky. There is a county park that was created by the donation of farm land that included a grass strip. Fortunately the county left the grass strip relatively intact. Due to our low noise footprint we are not hassled at all. In fact we get trail walkers who stop and watch and talk with us. We all try to fly responsibly so no one feels threatened. In the five years I’ve been participating there has not never been a complaint.

There are are airports that GA and sport aviation friendly and then there are those that are not.

Bottom line, whether you’re into model aviation or sport aviation it’s getting harder and more expensive to participate.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    We are very lucky. There is a county park that was created by the donation of farm land that included a grass strip. Fortunately the county left the grass strip relatively intact. Due to our low noise footprint we are not hassled at all. In fact we get trail walkers who stop and watch and talk with us. We all try to fly responsibly so no one feels threatened. In the five years I’ve been participating there has not never been a complaint.
    Dave, where is this park?

BTW, try finding a big enough public space within 20 miles of here where you are welcome to launch a model rocket.

Hey Kyle......Can’t think of the name of the park but ya got to go west on Rockmart Hwy like your heading out to Paulding Cnty Airport or Cedartown. Go south on the Villa Rica Hwy. Turn left on Mustang Dr. the park is on your right.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    Hey Kyle......Can’t think of the name of the park but ya got to go west on Rockmart Hwy like your heading out to Paulding Cnty Airport or Cedartown. Go south on the Villa Rica Hwy. Turn left on Mustang Dr. the park is on your right.
    Thanks, Dave.

Hey Kyle it’s White Oak Park.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime

Thanks Tom and everyone else! That’s great to hear the EAA is wanting to get involved. I mean no disrespect to the AMA by asking, just that more friends are always better, especially in a case like this where the EAA has extensive experience dealing with the FAA.

It’s funny you mention the youth program in partnership with the AMA. Some club members and I were just talking about that! We have some ideas to promote the club, hobby, and aviation in general and this is on the list.

I’ll keep an eye out for the EAA’s comments. Please let me know if there’s anything I can contribute.

Have you ever noticed that all the line control model planes, also known as U control, have the line attachment on the end of the left wing, therefore they only fly in counterclockwise or left circles. This has been a long time indoctrination program by the libs behind all this to get our school children used to turning left. Same way as all the cowboy movies show mounting a horse from the left side. And if airplanes have a fold down door like a T-6 or Spitfire, its always on the left side.
    Finally, someone in the FAA or the GOVT. has ferreted out this devious practices and is about to regulate them. How much of our tax money will this diligence use?

Hmmm... I'm curious what U-control (shouldn't be regulated, since it's tethered rather low) has to do with regulation of R/C models.

Same way as all the cowboy movies show mounting a horse from the left side.
    That goes WAAAY back, long before even model aircraft.

Larry N.

Just a bump on this thread to remind everyone that the deadline for comments is Monday March 2 at 11:59 PM EST.
    https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...rcraft-systems

As of now there are 34134 comments posted that will be ignored.

There's an article about the topic at:
    https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/02/new-faa-drone-rule-is-a-giant-middle-finger-to-aviation-hobbyists/

Edit: Five and a half hours before the deadline, and there are now 45468 comments!
    Last edited by PaulDow; 03-02-2020 at 05:29 PM.

EAA's final comments are here: https://eaa.org/-/media/Files/EAA/Ad...moteIDcomments

The final tally is 51,006 comments. Thank you to all who added your voice!
    Tom Charpentier
    Government Relations Director
    EAA Lifetime #1082006 | Vintage #722921