Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Visiting Non US citizens flying 103 in the USA

Hunter Valley in New South Wales Australia

Visiting Non US citizens flying 103 in the USA

I have for a few years thought of planning a trip to the USA and flying FAR103 ultralights preferably a Lazair as i own one here in Australia. I asked the EAA and they say no problem same with the FAA, i spoke to them at last years Airventure.
    Now i have a person here in OZ that insists i should get the same Homeland Security clearance that a GA pilot or student or LSA pilot requires before they can undertake any flight or instruction. I believe that all i require is the usual security check (ESTA) that is to be obtained before arriving in the USA.
    Who would i need to ask? Could someone please point me in the right direction. The Homeland Security web site is a bit vague for an inquiry of this type.
    I'm really itching to fly Dale's E Lazair next year

Thanks in advance
    Ozzie

I would get in touch with the Flight Standards District Office for Wisconsin (which would be the one in Milwaukee). They would be able to give you the FAA's take on it and refer you to any other agencies you might need to deal with. Most FSDO employees are nice and helpful (as a lot of them are pilots themselves, at least in my experience) so that would be the first place I would turn to.

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/field_offices/fsdo/mke/contact/

I hope this helps.

Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

How about contacting these folks & asking them?
    Contact

For more information, please contact the Private Sector Office at private.sector@dhs.gov or call (202) 282-8484.

http://www.dhs.gov/xutil/department_white_pages.shtm

Or is there a FAR 103 flight school who may be able to answer your question?

Even if they can't answer your question, perhaps they could point you in the right direction?

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
    Now i have a person here in OZ that insists i should get the same Homeland Security clearance that a GA pilot or student or LSA pilot requires before they can undertake any flight or instruction. I believe that all i require is the usual security check (ESTA) that is to be obtained before arriving in the USA.
    Who would i need to ask? Could someone please point me in the right direction.
    Simply read the rules. There is absolutely nothing in Part 103 that requires the 'occupant' of an ultralight to be a US citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Simply read the rules. There is absolutely nothing in Part 103 that requires the 'occupant' of an ultralight to be a US citizen.
    Absolutely true as i said in my first post that has been confirmed
    The potential problem could be with HOMELAND SECURITY not the FAA.
    I need to know what view HS has on FAR103. it is not just a case of asking someone in homeland security via a general email inquiry i need to speak to THE person in HS that knows the correct answer and give me an official OK that i do not need to go through the usual route that a visiting GA pilot has to do. Part of this exercise is to prove to the bunnies here at home that FAR103 "ROCKS" in the way that i can just roll up and go fly the same aircraft i fly here without requiring any authorities OK or pay anyone a pocket full of cash.
    103 type of aircraft have just about been regulated out of existence here in Australia as the requirements to fly them are just about the same as your LSA types. You need the same type of pilot certificate that cost about 7 grand to get and about 150. a year to keep plus you need to obtain a low inertia endorsement and either a nose wheel or tail wheel endo plus a bi annual flight test, human factors endo. then there is rego for the aircraft. plus more depending on where you operate from.
    ozzie

I need to know what view HS has on FAR103. it is not just a case of asking someone in homeland security via a general email inquiry i need to speak to THE person in HS that knows the correct answer and give me an official OK that i do not need to go through the usual route that a visiting GA pilot has to do. Part of this exercise is to prove to the bunnies here at home that FAR103 "ROCKS" in the way that i can just roll up and go fly the same aircraft i fly here without requiring any authorities OK or pay anyone a pocket full of cash.
    103 type of aircraft have just about been regulated out of existence here in Australia as the requirements to fly them are just about the same as your LSA types. You need the same type of pilot certificate that cost about 7 grand to get and about 150. a year to keep plus you need to obtain a low inertia endorsement and either a nose wheel or tail wheel endo plus a bi annual flight test, human factors endo. then there is rego for the aircraft. plus more depending on where you operate from.
    ozzie

Be sure, ANY information (approval) you get from anyone from ANY of our government agencies is in writing with a signature!!

I need to know what view HS has on FAR103.
    Ozzie, there are no rules, DHS, TSA, FAA that states the occupant of an UL vehicle must be a US citizen. If there were such a rule it would be readily available for public reference. It's not like they are going to keep something like that a secret then hide in the bushes to catch violators.

The DHS/TSA clearance applies to attending flight schools. See Regulation here.

Thank you all who have replied. Looking forward to coming over again next year to enjoy the wonderfull priviliges of FAR103.

The most "logical" way I know of looking at it is to compare airplanes to motorcycles and ultralights to bicycles. Motorcycles have requirements to be registered and their riders licensed, so do airplanes. Bicycles don't have a requirement to be registered or their riders licensed, neither do ultralights. Bicycles aren't "junior" motorcycles, they are totally different beasts. Ultralights aren't "junior" airplanes, they are totally different beasts. Coming to the US and flying an ultralight is no different than coming to the US and riding a bicycle.