Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh 365

Oshkosh 365

I see the site is a beta site, but does anyone know why it is so unbelievably slow? I can't imagine why anyone would want to spend much time surfing it, because the refresh rate seems to be in minutes!!

Steve89P

Old and Busted: Oshkosh 365
    New Hotness: EAA Forums

It's strange that 365 is still slow with nobody on the forum there. It does still have a well organized (but slow) launching point for webinars, videos, member resources and events.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    The performance issues with 365 really don't have to do with traffic or usage, just underlying software architecture ... which is why forums had to be started from scratch here instead of fixed over there.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Hal,

I noticed that the links to OSH365 are gone, replaced by links to the new (and vastly improved) forums. Is the remaining 365 content going to be revamped/maintained/rechanneled or ??? Just curious.

Jim
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

We're hammering that out now, Jim - it's likely to be a combination of those things. The forums were the "emergency" priority, and now that these are up and going we can really start to address the remaining issues on the old site.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Managing Editor

I really like the ability to read old issues of the magazine (even though it is slow on 365) - it is a lot easier than what I used to have to do to research something, which was rather "old school". I used to have to look thru the directory of reference articles at the library & then put a request in thru the university system for a photocopy of the article from whoever may have a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve89P View Post
    I see the site is a beta site, but does anyone know why it is so unbelievably slow? I can't imagine why anyone would want to spend much time surfing it, because the refresh rate seems to be in minutes!!

Steve89P
    Glad I was not the only one experiencing slowness . Ever since I "registered" on the forum I seem to notice faster speed on the main site. Doubt if there is a connection, but who knows

Thanks Hal for all you do!

Kevin

Hal, it have you given thought to adding/subdividing a couple of the topics; that is the ones that have the most posts? Maybe the safety ones on one topic, maintenance on another, specific type issues on another? If so, is it a big deal to revise or all what you have now?
    As for speed, the new site seems to work fine for me, but then being from the south maybe I think slower.

Quote Originally Posted by N53KL View Post
    Thanks Hal for all you do!
    It's my pleasure - thanks for the kind words! Not to mention all EAA members for paying my salary!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Hal, it have you given thought to adding/subdividing a couple of the topics; that is the ones that have the most posts? Maybe the safety ones on one topic, maintenance on another, specific type issues on another? If so, is it a big deal to revise or all what you have now?
    Good thoughts, Bill. We have considered that to some degree, and I think there will certainly be some changes to the organization of topics and all that after the dust settles from the holidays. The good news is that these kinds of changes are quick and easy to make, and even pretty painless to undo. My task will be to figure out exactly what those changes should be, implementing any additional topics and / or divisions into sub-topics while avoiding the very real temptation to add "too many."

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Managing Editor