Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BJ-1B Duster glider

BJ-1B Duster glider

I have plans for the Woodstock but am interested in also getting ahold of some Duster plans to check out/compare. Anyone know of the availability of some Duster plans out there? Anyone know of the differences in flight characteristics. Looks like the Duster actually has a little better of a glide ratio.

Duster definitely has better performance than the woodstock. They are cool looking gliders!

I have a set of Duster plans but am still dreaming of building one now that I am finally retired. Probably would not be legal to photograph and Email but if you ever get to the N.E. part of Indiana, I would be glad to show them to you. Also, you may not know, but a design option was for mounting an engine on a fixed pylon over the wings for self launch. Such an example was at Oshkosh perhaps in the 70's and is the way I would build it.

really, i have never heard of a self launching duster. is that an option in the plans? I also have a set of plans and don't recall seeing it. besides all that extra weight requiring some decent beefing up of the wing structure (more weight) it would therefore really limit the allowable pilot weight and be quite literally a real drag.

My set dated 8/20/71 shows only the optional fittings on sheet 5. I have more info about it somewhere in my 45 years of archives but haven't come across it lately. I found the photo of the one at Oshkosh. It is N11BJ and I don't remember much data from it. There have been a few changes to the plans and probably the most important was stiffening the vertical fin due to some having a flutter problem. I was going to attach the photo but discovered that the .pdf I saved it as won't work so will send it later.

ah i see that now. very interesting

Happy duster 351

Quote Originally Posted by tonycondon View Post
    ah i see that now. very interesting
    My name is gordon I have Duster 351 full set of plans can't copy them but willing to assist. I'm rebuilding 351 . I have a pterodactyl ascender ultralight also. I'm a good craftsmen but new to wooden airplanes (gliders) , I've built many model planes and gliders there similar but different. I guess I'm looking and offering help , to anyone interested. Happy flying

Tony, My duster 351 has optional engine mounts installed. It mounts above the turtle deck. I've inquired about the engine , horse power, thrust, but no response. It seems like it would have a glide ratio like a rock with out power but with out tow services available might be a good option, as in my case.

dear sir
    I am looking for a full set to build a duster glider do you think you can help me find a full set to build a duster glider?
    Any help would be great. Thank you.

Dear sir
    I am asking if you have your complete set of building plans for the bj-duster glider? If so I would like to make a complete copies off your drawings if that is possible, I would like to hear from you about this aircraft. Thanks.