Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daily food budget

Daily food budget

hi, I'm looking to make sure i budget my cash the best i can, and cannot remember what the general concession prices ranged from for food etc when i attended for a few days back in 2016.given exchange rate, i need to try and plan the cash accordingly.whats people general expected daily spend on food (on field)?cheersmike
    2016 1st time Oshkosh visitor, 2017 was hopeful but just not to be..but see my 2016 and upcoming 2018 adventure on mikelynnweb.wordpress.com Celebrating the RAF100

Quote Originally Posted by biggles1998 View Post
    hi, I'm looking to make sure i budget my cash the best i can, and cannot remember what the general concession prices ranged from for food etc when i attended for a few days back in 2016.given exchange rate, i need to try and plan the cash accordingly.whats people general expected daily spend on food (on field)?cheersmike
    You could probably eat at Sacred Heart for $6-8/meal. Vendors inside the fence will be a few bucks more. A jar of peanut butter and a loaf of bread from the camp store would bring your daily costs down considerably.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    A jar of peanut butter and a loaf of bread from the camp store would bring your daily costs down considerably.
    hi - yes i was thinking of raiding target for a cool box and a few bits of food and leave in the car for a (boot) picnic.. but if I can plan effectively i hope it'll stop me carrying to much cash around. ( since i did like having a burger near the flightline ;-) )thanks
    2016 1st time Oshkosh visitor, 2017 was hopeful but just not to be..but see my 2016 and upcoming 2018 adventure on mikelynnweb.wordpress.com Celebrating the RAF100

Lots of variables here that can affect what you actually spend but without going data diving I’d recommend a conservative $30 a day and you’ll be covering all of the options.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

The great thing about Oshkosh is that there is no wrong answer - just about anything goes.

Since you mentioned stowing things in the boot, I'm ignorantly assuming you'll be staying in the dorms. If so, freeze a couple of water bottles; they're only $2 on the field, but if you drink alot, that can add up. Of course, there's plenty of clean water available for free on the field - it's just not cold. You mentioned a cooler; there are plenty of cheap, limited-use foam coolers for just a few dollars at any store; you don't need an Igloo or better brand.

Kyle mentioned Sacred Heart, but didn't mention its location. It's right next to the Bus Park area, just a short hike from the main gate. They have a decent variety of easy-to fix meals like burgers, hot dogs, eggs in the AM, etc. They are one of the best bargains out there. Not gourmet, but it sates the hunger.

If you prefer to dine on-field for lunch, I always go for the Member Special. Most of the concessions have them. You get an item, potato chips (crisps) or french fries (chips) and a drink. Usually in the $8-11 range. I have to have at least one Bratwurst each year.

There are also options other than peanut butter that don't require refrigeration. On the days when I don't want to make the hike from the flight line all the way back to Sacred Heart, I either make a PB&J and carry it in a rigid sandwich case; I hate a squashed sandwich! In addition to that, you could pack two slices of bread, and carry either a can of Deviled Ham or a pouch of pre-made tuna salad mix. It's easy to find a plastic knife, spoon, or other utensil to just make your own sandwich. Although I love PB&J, a guy's just gotta have some variety.

If you *are* in the dorms, don't just surrender to eating in the Uni cafeteria. Good food, but Oshkosh offers so much more. A short drive to the east side of the field is Ardy & Ed's drive-in. It's a '50's era burger & icecream shack where the wait staff gets around on roller skates. If not traveling with mates, it's easy to just pull up in your car and they'll take care of you. Or get out and sit at one of the picnic tables. Standard Oshkosh rules: "Mind if I share a table with you? Thanks! Where you from?"

There's also many other fine eateries in/around the area. Check the tables in the dorm lobby; all the restaurants have stacks of menus, etc., to entice you.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Good tips.
    Last year for lunch I carried 6 slices of bread and a can of tuna. Opened the can for lunch with my Leatherman. All part of the fun.

Thanks for the great ideas, ill have to look at the opening and closing times of the other off field eateries. when i came last time my jet lag was in full effect and was eating breakfast with copious amounts of coffee in Perkins at 5am, and through main gates just after 6 waiting for the main gate to issue tickets LOL..ill plan on $30 as mentioned, but considering i'm in for the whole week, i'll be looking at easy cheaper alternatives and PB&J bagels may be on the cards by friday ( bagels don't squash as much :-) )do they allow those small tin foil pop up BBQs in the carpark?cheersmike

I can also recommend the Subway. They have reasonably healthy food selections available, and are not expensive. I ended up eating at least half my meals there last year and the year before.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

As others have mentioned, supplement your larder with Walmart dry goods and beverages for carried in snacks, a quick meal and late nite dorm chow. One year I think I spent near $30 just buying frozen lemonade drinks and cold Gatorade, dang it was a HOT one. lol

Other than that the whole event is not unlike camping inside a food court at a mall. Slightly overpriced, non-nutritive bulk that tastes FANTASTIC after hours of schlepping around the massive grounds.

Some of the best advice I've ever been given when travelling abroad is "Pack half the clothes and twice the money".

Use Google maps to look for "Oshkosh WI restaurants". Zoom in. There are hundreds of nearby choices. Budget between $30-$50 daily if you eat out 3x a day.