Page 49 of 75 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: Young Eagles and Background Security Checks

Quote Originally Posted by Copapilot View Post
    After 01 May 2016 there will be at least three additional documents....
    "Young Eagles and EAA’s New Youth Protection Policy
    "This short document is intended to help you understand how Young Eagles is impacted (or not impacted) by the new policy at EAA....
    "The only waiver necessary for a YE rally or flight is the standard YE form, which is sent back to Oshkosh after the flight. Chapters have no responsibility to retain any records from YE activities. Parents also do not need to receive any more information than the regular YE flight registration. Further, there is no need for a sign-in sheet for YE rallies."

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    As for the 2 Adults per aircraft issue, I'm hoping they answer that quickly.
    Can't find the quote right now, but no, you can fly 3 kids in a 4-place aircraft. No need to take another adult along.

Quote Originally Posted by dusterpilot View Post
    Chapters have no responsibility to retain any records from YE activities. Parents also do not need to receive any more information than the regular YE flight registration.
    This person you quote did not read the Youth Protection Policy correctly.

"Young Eagles and EAA’s New Youth Protection Policy
    "This short document is intended to help you understand how Young Eagles is impacted (or not impacted) by the new policy at EAA....
    "The only waiver necessary for a YE rally or flight is the standard YE form, which is sent back to Oshkosh after the flight. Chapters have no responsibility to retain any records from YE activities. Parents also do not need to receive any more information than the regular YE flight registration. Further, there is no need for a sign-in sheet for YE rallies."
    Dunno, Dusty. The new EAA Youth Protection Policy is linked DIRECTLY from the Young Eagles page:

EDIT: Found the document Dusty was referring to. See next post.

11. Recordkeeping
    EAA chapters and other operators of EAA-related programs and events will maintain orderly and accessible records for each Youth participant in chapter activities. The maintenance period will be not less than three (3) years. See the attached Waiver & Permission Slip Matrix. These records will include:

a. Parent contact information and other emergency contact information.
    b. Acknowledgement of receipt of policies on discipline, prohibited activities, and sign-in/sign-out procedures.
    c. Activity-specific permission slips, dated and signed.
    d. Attendance record of the dates on which the Youth participated in EAA-related programs and events.
    e. Conduct and behavior issues and resolutions.
    f. Incident reports.

Maybe I'm missing something, that somehow this isn't applicable to Young Eagles. But it certainly does seem require record-keeping beyond just the standard Young Eagles waiver.

If it's NOT true, then EAA staff need to clarify it.

Just as an aside, this tidbit in the Policy is interesting: Young Eagles doesn't require it, but there's some dandy fine print about waivers on Page 10 for those cases where a kid visits any other type of chapter event:

"Keep longer if required by your State’s Statute of Limitations"

Ohhhhhkay........

Can't find the quote right now, but no, you can fly 3 kids in a 4-place aircraft. No need to take another adult along.
    If that's true, a lot of folks will be relieved. But it does seem to conflict with the "Two Deep Leadership" concept on Page 4 of the EAA's new policy. Please post when you find the quote. Keep in mind that an informal statement (Forum posting, FAQ, etc.) would not supercede the official EAA Youth Protection Policy, which requires "Two Deep Leadership".

Ron Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 02-09-2016 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Clarification

Dunno, Dusty. The new EAA Youth Protection Policy is linked DIRECTLY from the Young Eagles page:
    Doing some digging, I did find the source of Dusty's quote:

http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-e...cy-and-program

It's the "What it Means for YE Rallies" link on the left. It does state that "Two Deep Leadership" is NOT required in the aircraft, and that only the waivers are required.

The problem is, it still conflicts with the official EAA Youth Protection Policy. If there are exemptions for Young Eagle events, it should be stated in the policy, not in unlabeled, undated side documents.

Ron Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 02-09-2016 at 02:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Copapilot View Post
    After 01 May 2016 there will be at least three additional documents that the attorney-in-fact for each minor I fly will be required to sign and have notarized on behalf of the minor child prior to arriving at the YE rally. They are (1) A specific performance personal services contract, (2) a subrogation and indemnification agreement naming the EAA as the exclusive sole defendant party for all actions, and (3) an MPAA / CSA /SAG compliant unlimited still and video photography rights release.

Of course, unless the EAA changes the YEYPP drastically between now and then, this requirement will never be enforced because I will simply refuse to continue my participation in this debacle.

Since I seem to work for the EAA now, how do I get the EAA to start covering part of my insurance and MX? See when a company starts to dictate HOW a person can do a job, that organization now becomes an employer. "In this case, the Ninth Circuit said that FedEx controlled the drivers and that they were independent contractors in name only." http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwo.../#321e50a15f5a

And Google and Uber are facing the same situation. What was basically decided was that when an organization starts dictating how a person can do the job, they are no longer independent.

Makes me wonder if a lawsuit is needed? I think the better option is just to abandon the YE program and start a program outside of EAA. Call it Young Phoenix... I rises from the ashes of the YE program. Maybe the AOPA should get involved?
    1996 Quad City Challenger CWS w/503 - Sold
    1974 7ECA Citabria - Sold
    1986 Pitts S1S

Seems pretty simple to me. I can comply or not. I choose not. The EAA can modify their program to meet my requirements as a volunteer or not. Apparently they choose not. If so, then I don't fly kids under the YE program.

I know within our chapter the YE coordinator has stepped down and cancelled his membership. Very few, if any, of our pilots will comply with the new edict. So the YE program in our chapter is dead. That cancels rallies at airports in 4 different communities that are not likely to view their airports or the EAA in the same positive light as in the past. A number of the chapter members have shut off the auto-renewal of their memberships and are waiting to see how this plays out. Unless the EAA acts very soon, a year from now, this small chapter will be much smaller, if it even continues to exist. This scenario is playing out nationwide.

The YE programs at many airports will cease to exist. The EAA loses a lot of community good will towards the airports and the EAA as a group. EAA is losing memberships and chapters over this issue, but their lack of meaningful response indicates that they have their heads cut in that come hell or high water, this is what they are going to do. The EAA isn't likely to implode over this event, but it will no doubt become a significantly smaller organization. I know of a number of members (myself included) that have stopped the auto renewal on their memberships and are waiting to see how this plays out. I know a few that simply cancelled theirs as they don't want to be a part of an organization with the current thinking and attitude of the EAA HQ.

The lack of response from EAA HQ makes their preference obvious. They have a big event every summer that creates members with the gate access fees. They apparently don't need the nationwide membership and chapters anymore. The lack of leadership and lack of willingness to communicate and work with the chapters has left many chapters and many members feeling disenfranchised. That is the message being delivered from EAA HQ. It's going to take a lot of work to change that message IF it's not the message intended from HQ.

-Cub Builder
    Last edited by cub builder; 02-09-2016 at 05:22 PM.

All of the YE pilots that regularly fly in our chapter, 6, will not participate after May 1. We have three others that fill in and they won't either. We will continue to fly but outside the EAA. We have another meeting this Saturday where we will decide whether to even stay in the EAA as a chapter. Doesn't look good. Either way if we don't fly YE in EAA then the EAA will lose most of the pilots as they join to fly YE.

Just as an aside, this tidbit in the Policy is interesting: Young Eagles doesn't require it, but there's some dandy fine print about waivers on Page 10 for those cases where a kid visits any other type of chapter event:

"Keep longer if required by your State’s Statute of Limitations"
    I see in Connecticut that, depending on how a potential accusation is prosecuted, the statute of limitations is 30 years after their 18th birthday (Same for civil actions). If it prosecuted as a Class A felony, there is no time limit.

For our filing system, we're going to need a lot more mayonnaise jars to keep on Funk & Wagnalls' front porch.
    (Yes, I've been watching Johnny Carson reruns lately.)
    Last edited by PaulDow; 02-09-2016 at 10:22 AM.

According to the policy:
    ----
    4. d. Flight Programs. Due to the nature of some of EAA-related programs (e.g., two-seat Young Eagles aircraft rides), there are times when it will be impossible for two (2) adults to be present in an activity involving a Youth. In such cases, the staff member or volunteer should take particular care to ensure that the Youth and their parents are aware of the circumstances.
    ---
    This clearly implies that if it's a four seater, an adult COULD and SHOULD be present. RIGHT? If so, I must say that's a deal killer.

EAA? Can you please clarify?

Where is the EAA with all the answers? Seems like the only responce comes when someone complains about this site. It is becoming more obvious everyday that this policy was not well thought out. Hopefully they are trying to fix it since they are not answering our questions.

Mike