Thread: Tip on building a Canopy frame for a Home-built simulator

Tip on building a Canopy frame for a Home-built simulator

Hello,

Hello putting together a home-built simulator and would like to solicit any tips on building a frame for my canopy?

thanks

What degree of functionality are you shooting for? How will it open and close? Slide? Hinged?

Quote Originally Posted by PlaneCrazy View Post
    Hello,

Hello putting together a home-built simulator and would like to solicit any tips on building a frame for my canopy?

thanks
    See:

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/tech/canopy.html

Ron Wanttaja

Ron, that's super genius!

I like the Me-109 like configuration, as it gives easy access and is really safe.

For a in-house simulator, I'd add a piano hinge so that it folds twice, and put in a couple extending arms to hold it open.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Presumably the slipstream won't be an issue. In that case, how about a very light wood frame covered with the glue on, heat shrinkable clear plastic used to provide an extra layer of winter protection on windows. Something like this: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...4529207&rt=rud
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    Ron, that's super genius!

I like the Me-109 like configuration, as it gives easy access and is really safe.

For a in-house simulator, I'd add a piano hinge so that it folds twice, and put in a couple extending arms to hold it open.
    Matt's design is brilliant, and there are already other Fly Baby owners who have done it. The neat thing is, it directly replaces the standard open-cockpit turtledeck section, so one can switch back and forth in minutes.

Your suggestion about the second piano hinge is a good one...in fact, I think one could do a replica P-51 B/C canopy quite easily. You'd curve the sides and top, rather than the squared-off look of Matt's, but it'd be a single-axis curve easy to implement.

Name:  R-21stP51Bopencanopy.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  28.3 KB
    I'd be real cautious about doing this on an actual airplane (concerns about holding the two halves together in the slipstream) but it'd be perfect for a simulator.

Ron Wanttaja