Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: FAVORITE aviation movie of all time?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Franck View Post
    Kyle, I was just about to ask about that movie but wasn't the title "Escape of the Birdmen"?.
    Sure was. Still a good POW flick.

Aww, c’mon guys it’s got to be 12 O’Clock High. Any movie that starts with the cranking of an R1820 is gotta win. Not to mention the Paul Mantz belly landing; and he wasn’t supposed to hit the tent. And who wouldn’t want the Robin Hood tankard on their man cave mantel????
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    Aww, c’mon guys it’s got to be 12 O’Clock High. Any movie that starts with the cranking of an R1820 is gotta win. Not to mention the Paul Mantz belly landing; and he wasn’t supposed to hit the tent. And who wouldn’t want the Robin Hood tankard on their man cave mantel????
    Great movie. Love the segue into and out of WWII.

The High and the Mighty is a personal favorite, given that John Wayne whistles "I'm a Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech" after a climatic moment.

Since we're all 'homebuilders" here then one of our favorite fellow EAA members and action hero, Harrison Ford should rank pretty high with his movie "6 Days and 7 Nights."
    I mean, come on, who else could drag a float from a derelict Japanese WWII aircraft out of the jungle, slap it onto a wrecked Beaver and fly it back to civilization?

1965 Flight of the Phoenix... the movie Paul Mantz gave his life for...

1938 Test Pilot... Clark Gabel Spencer Tracy Myrna Loy

1943 Air Force... The film's storyline revolves around the actual incident that occurred on December 7 so this movie will give you a feeling what America was up against...

Last edited by BusyLittleShop; 09-19-2019 at 10:58 PM.

Talk about stars: Bridges of Tokyo Ri not only has William Holden as the mature lawyer from Denver who is called up from his private life and practice, to fly off a carrier to attack in Korea, but no less than Grace Kelley as the wife left at home, they don't come any more beautiful than that. William Holden also stars in one of my other most favorite movies, of the Robin Hood/King Arthur era as Ivanhoe . this time with Liz Taylor as the heroine. I had a friend who actually flew off the Bon Homne Richard to attack in Korea and got his wing man shot down and made it back to the carrier with major engine damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Talk about stars: Bridges of Tokyo Ri not only has William Holden as the mature lawyer from Denver who is called up from his private life and practice, to fly off a carrier to attack in Korea, but no less than Grace Kelley as the wife left at home, they don't come any more beautiful than that.
    Not to mention Fredrick March, Earl Holliman, and, of course, Mickey Rooney in one of his few serious/non-satirical adult roles. Plays a pilot, even.

Holden has another major role as a pilot... he plays a test pilot with PTSD in "Toward the Unknown." They filmed that movie at Edwards in the early '50s, and there are a lot of interesting prototypes shown.

Ron Wanttaja

Dive Bomber is a worthwhile watch too. Beautiful pre-WWII paint schemes.

I am glad this thread came back to life. I mentioned before using certain films for leadership training. The High and Mighty, a favorite among some here, is also THE classic training film for "Crew Resource Management."
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Obviously there are no Naval Aviators on this thread. No one has mentioned Wings of Eagles. John Wayne did a much better job in this film. The sequence where he goes over the side is pretty darn good. NO CAKE!
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun