Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: How is EAA Actively promoting the Sport Pilot program

Rebuilders are mechanics. They usually don't have as many assets to go after.
    I don't know if AOPA can find "reimagination" insurance.
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 12-31-2017 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    The night and instrument training is is of no value if the aircraft you fly has no lights or instruments.
    I suppose you're right about that. It certainly wouldn't hurt anything if the airplane is equipped for it. Looking at the SP performance objectives, I also see nothing for unusual attitude recovery. I don't care what you're flying, it's not immune to wake turbulence and other unfortunate upset possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Thanks to AOPA, there is no need to care about any of this. AOPA in partnership with Aviat Aircraft and Yingling Aircraft have produced for sale, completely refurbished, like brand new condition, totally updated 150's, 152's and 172's they call "Reimagined" airplanes. For $130K and $160K respectively. Who needs SLSA's that cost much, much more and come with category specific restrictions with respect to weight and speed. Much more insentive, if you can pass a medical, to get the PPL.

I saw them at Oshkosh and they are beautiful aircraft.
    They may be pretty, but if you fall outside the third class medical or Basic Med groups then there most certainly IS a need to care about it. And I'm sorry, but I don't care how much of an overhaul a 152 or 172 has had -- I'll still take my ELSA RV-12, thank you very much. It cost me less than half the $130K for the restored, decades-old 152, and has all the benefits of an experimental (not to mention being a dozen knots faster in cruise).

I looked for a while, but can find no sign that the $160K 172 is a reality... the only 172s Yingling shows for sale (or sold) are well over $200K. Maybe I missed something.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Happy new year all, i have good news, some good Samaritan pilot, has bought a Cessna Sky Catcher and decided to lease it, for use by the local FBO for use in Light Sport training. So miracles do happen, will be going to check it out tomorrow, to find out how soon we can get back into the air.
    This is 5 minutes from my work, so this is a true miracle from the start of this posting.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Dingus View Post
    Happy new year all, i have good news, some good Samaritan pilot, has bought a Cessna Sky Catcher and decided to lease it, for use by the local FBO for use in Light Sport training. So miracles do happen, will be going to check it out tomorrow, to find out how soon we can get back into the air.
    This is 5 minutes from my work, so this is a true miracle from the start of this posting.

Robert

That's great......now if the weather just cooperates

That is good news Robert, Get signed up and "Git 'er done!"

Robert
    Great news above. Anybody else looking for sport pilot training please contact me. I have some unique suggestions that may be of interest to you. Also any new basic student planning to go all the way to airline work, like to talk to you too about how to save $$$$.

CFIG1467368@yahoo.com.

And now for the other shoe to drop, the FBO looked at the insurance cost to add it to the fleet, as a trainer for new / student pilots. They choked on the cost, for offering it for training new pilots. If they only use it for pilots with certificates, or existing pilots for transition or check outs, insurance is easy just another line item.
    The owner and the FBO are still deciding to proceed or not in offering this for use as a trainer.

Will keep you informed, as to what really happens, im hopeful we get it so i can finish up and get my license.

Robert

Robert if you have not thought about this, you may want to look for a local owners training club. You buy in for a share, once your training is over you sell your share to the next student. many are doing this today. I even know a few whom went out and purchased an airplane just to do this training in. Or if you know others in your area looking for this training, go in together on an airplane and us it to train in together. Just some idea's I am throwing out and you may have already thought of these.

And now for the other shoe to drop, the FBO looked at the insurance cost to add it to the fleet, as a trainer for new / student pilots. They choked on the cost, for offering it for training new pilots.
    I'm mystified by this.

Locally there is a student pilot who has been training for a Sport Pilot ticket. His CFI had him training in the CFI's Champ. When it was time for him to solo, though, the Champ isn't insured for solo student pilots. Neither is the Champ operated by a local flying club, which coincidentally the only other LSA that might be had for non-owner flying.

I have an LSA, but it's Experimental and so cannot be rented. So, we started talking about him buying part of my airplane so he could fly it as an owner. I emailed my insurance agent and asked about adding a pre-solo student pilot to the insurance as a named pilot. We were prepared for a pretty high number. Turns out it cost me $100. That's it. My rate doesn't change; seems that since I have less than 150 hours in type my rate is as high as it will get. Adding him was just paperwork and a change fee. So now he's an airplane owner. He flies solo every chance he gets, flies with his instructor, and we've never once had a conflict. In fact, we're thinking seriously about adding a third person. The insurance cost for both of us is less than $1400 per year, including enough hull coverage to replace it.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

I know a local man who build an RV. His airplane has graced the pages of EAA mag. He has over 4000 hrs flying all sorts of different airplanes, but not a tail wheel. He purchases a small EAB tail wheel airplane. He calls his insurance company to insure this airplane. He told me they wanted more to insure this airplane then they wanted to insure his RV airplane. It was around 3x as much. Because this airplane is nothing more then an ultralight style airplane, he said he will fly it naked. His plans are to just fly above corn for the fun of flying. If he wants to go anywhere he will get in his RV.

I then have another friend who just purchased an airplane. Its a trike or nose wheel. He is a student pilot. The insurance for this airplane is so expensive for him to be covered he is not. He has another man who holds a PP certificate insured on this airplane. When he flies he takes this man with him.

I then call to get not-in-motion insurance on my eab. They wanted 800 a year for this. DaleB I wonder why you have better luck then those in my area cost wise? Maybe it is who you know.