Page 104 of 109 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1083

Thread: Building a Nieuport 11...

I'm a bit behind on turning files on the computer into a build video, but here's about two steps back:

I've actually achieved all the tubing bent, cut, and coped for one side and about half the gussets in (for that one side).

She's looking more and more like an aircraft!
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Compressing hours of tedious work into five minutes makes it look easy!
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Yesterday I was "snake bit" while working on the aircraft. Nothing seemed to want to cooperate with me, including my drill's chuck finally giving up the ghost and refusing to hold onto bits worth a darn.

After a few hours of not much real work getting done, I figured the best thing to do was to stop playing with snakes and packed it in.

Here's a video from a few weekends ago where work actually got done, including a bit on "welding' the fuselage:

Oh, and after getting home I wasn't very pleased, saying bad things about the 30+ year old drill. My wife looks at me oddly and says "Well, we may have to give you your father's day gift early." She bought me a new drill and was keeping it secret.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    Yesterday I was "snake bit" while working on the aircraft. Nothing seemed to want to cooperate with me, including my drill's chuck finally giving up the ghost and refusing to hold onto bits worth a darn.

After a few hours of not much real work getting done, I figured the best thing to do was to stop playing with snakes and packed it in.

Here's a video from a few weekends ago where work actually got done, including a bit on "welding' the fuselage:

Oh, and after getting home I wasn't very pleased, saying bad things about the 30+ year old drill. My wife looks at me oddly and says "Well, we may have to give you your father's day gift early." She bought me a new drill and was keeping it secret.
    Yep. Sometimes it's just better to stop when you are snake bit.

BTW you're quite inspirational in that you had a crash and decided to build a new plane. Some people would have just given up.

*blush*

I take my inspiration from Bleroit, who never saw a plane he couldn't crash.

Frank, I thought you would enjoy knowing that I am well underway on a Nieuport 11 project from Airdrome Aeroplanes. Your EAA thread has been a huge help, both for advice and for inspiration. Thank you! The fuselage is on the landing gear, the tail feathers are all framed and the wing spars/ailerons are assembled.
    On your thread, the photos you post are worth their weight in gold, although many are now missing (past page 5 or so). Is there another place where these pictures are still posted?

Again, thank you for the inspiration to start and stick with my project. I hope your re-build is going well and look forward to seeing posts on your progress.

Mike

Nope, just on my poor website that does nothing but hold pictures for this thread.

I'll take a look and make sure they're re-uploaded - thanks for the heads up!

You know, there are darned few Airdrome N11's out there! She's a sweet plane to fly, that's for sure. My only piece of serious advice I'd give is to take your time in rigging.

Rigging. Is. EVERYTHING. I spent a huge amount of time getting it right, going so far as to just scrapping the wires and starting over a couple three times. But the effort was worth it; not only would she fly hands free (still a little rudder input), but stalled gently straight forward on power off, and just a little dip to the side power on.

I'd be interested when you get to the "black hole" of the plans, namely the seat and the fuel tank. Oh, and I may need to beg a measurement or two as well. I can't find my page where it shows how far below the top longeron the bottom wing carry-throughs are supposed to go.

[edit]

Also, scan your plans. I really, really, really wish I had of.

The front measurement is 24.833" from the top of the longeron to the center of the carry-through. The back measurement is 25.812".

I did scan the plans early on and have had an occasion when it paid off. I'll be glad to fill you in on any missing pages (or parts of pages) that you might need.

Thanks for the advice on rigging. It looks like a fairly daunting task. Knowing that you scrapped some cables along the process will make me feel better when the inevitable happens to me.

Thanks for looking into those photos. They are a big help. (I copied your method of making the aileron leading edges...worked great!)

data

Hi Frank,

I emailed you and send some data over via WETRANSFER, it might have gone into your SPAM ???

have fun

Johan

[edit]

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

[Second edit]

Hilarious that it's the same "improved" full scale Nieuport 17 plans I received six years ago.
    Last edited by Frank Giger; 07-16-2020 at 04:10 PM.