Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Learning to fly Ultralights

POST FLIGHT Learning still . Its been a dry spell for flying for me[meaning not able to] .Finally just as I was about to ready it for winter I got a fine Saturday afternoon. Did an hour of flying and about 20 take off and landings as well as a couple of 360 tight turns at 30 degrees. I just haven't had much time to practice with the bad wind conditions early on. After a fine hour of flying its a bit cool here I got chilled and put down and went back to the landing for extraction.
    How many of you do a post flight inspection?
    Certainly saved me a head ache. I wont be wasting my time taking it out again only to have to abort and go home. And I know why and what from the damage was caused. Hull damage
    Needs some repair or redesign I have the whole winter . See you all in the spring. Still it was a good last flight.
    Regards Norm
    Last edited by Norman Langlois; 10-28-2012 at 09:23 AM.

Learning to fly one then transition to another type.
    This is something that has been concerning me all the time I have been preparing and flying my plane.

The things I did to prepare and the steps taken. still as I said many time before did not prepare me for the actual flight but even now after I have finally become comfortable in my plane and confident in my plane that it will do as I expect for a given scenario .
    I am very unsure if I was attempting to fly some other type it would not be the same. It is a confidence thing that an assurance from an instructor might smooth over but still I think I would be very nervous and need to go through several hours with any change of venue.
    I chose the seaplane I think it was a piece of cake . I believe a land base plane would be much more difficult for me. I would need several hour of training to sort of be endorsed to fly that venue.

Point is piloting is not general it is specific. Ultra lights do not make it necessary. to acquire additional flight training.
    I expect one should recognize this and do accordingly.

Norm

Where can I find more information about single seat training methods?

rawwheels There is another thread by Buzz. It has content that explains some of the process. You might contact him Directly. If you are actually looking for an CFI that would cooperate with you with such a plan Ask Jedi or Buzz you might find a way.

My first solo in a 1984 quicksilver MX, this was 2009.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8v8VWP8Pjo

Years ago I worked with a guy who bought a Quicksilver U/L direct from the factory. After assembling the craft he invited me over to admire his new ship. I gave it the normal "pilots" look over as we all do when eyeballing somebodys new ride and found a few issues for him to correct. Nothing huge, but important. I asked about his flight training. He informed me he had read the "book" several times and watched a video that came with the kit. His plan was to take the machine to a local U/L airpark and get info/pointers prior to flying the beast. I tried to convince him of the serious need of actual flight training, even inviting him to fly with me to get some experience. He didn't accept (I guess I'm just too scary). We talked about flying for a while and I found he had no idea of what he was about to get himself into. I watched a portion of the video and found it completely misinformative. Well, the following weekend he tried to fly his new craft. From what I was told he performed a perfect "stall/spin" into the top of a school. He recovered from his two broken legs and other injuries fortunately. He blamed the airplane for the accident-we know better.

There is no substitute for dual flight training. There is no excuse not to get dual training-ever. I for one will never condone "self teaching" or "learn by doing" flight training. We get enough bad press in aviation and we don't need any more news articles about fools augering their planes into the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    My first solo in a 1984 quicksilver MX, this was 2009.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8v8VWP8Pjo

This flight was after 10 hrs dual instruction. I was ready to solo at around the 6 hr mark but I was not comfortable in the air enough to solo. I wanted a few more hrs. the man teaching me told me I was ready.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    This flight was after 10 hrs dual instruction. I was ready to solo at around the 6 hr mark but I was not comfortable in the air enough to solo. I wanted a few more hrs. the man teaching me told me I was ready.
    That's the right way to do it. Formal training, understanding your own ability and, realizing when your ready-by your intructors input as well as yourself.

Single Seat Training

Quote Originally Posted by pacerpilot View Post
    Years ago I worked with a guy who bought a Quicksilver U/L direct from the factory. After assembling the craft he invited me over to admire his new ship. I gave it the normal "pilots" look over as we all do when eyeballing somebodys new ride and found a few issues for him to correct. Nothing huge, but important. I asked about his flight training. He informed me he had read the "book" several times and watched a video that came with the kit. His plan was to take the machine to a local U/L airpark and get info/pointers prior to flying the beast. I tried to convince him of the serious need of actual flight training, even inviting him to fly with me to get some experience. He didn't accept (I guess I'm just too scary). We talked about flying for a while and I found he had no idea of what he was about to get himself into. I watched a portion of the video and found it completely misinformative. Well, the following weekend he tried to fly his new craft. From what I was told he performed a perfect "stall/spin" into the top of a school. He recovered from his two broken legs and other injuries fortunately. He blamed the airplane for the accident-we know better.

There is no substitute for dual flight training. There is no excuse not to get dual training-ever. I for one will never condone "self teaching" or "learn by doing" flight training. We get enough bad press in aviation and we don't need any more news articles about fools augering their planes into the ground.
    Pacer Pilot,
    I really do not like saying this but I think it needs to be said. Please do not take it personally. Your statement, "There is no substitute for dual flight training." is not true. I agree that dual training is wonderful and useful and should be a part of every pilots training. However, sometimes that is not possible. (Unfortunately the FAA is at least partially to blame for this.) There are always at least two ways to do a job. Normally that is the right way and the wrong way. Dual training is the right way, no doubt. However, when dual training is not an option, other methods must be investigated and developed. Single seat training is possible if done slowly and methodically.
    The red flag in the example you cite is the inexperienced pilot not accepting an offer of advice and assistance. This is the clue that indicates he thought he could fly his plane. One must approach self teaching with the knowledge that you do not know how to do the task. Then you set about proving that you can do one step at a time without placing yourself or others in danger. There are dangers and those dangers must be recognized and accounted for. Every effort will not be successful. As one of my instructors so accurately stated, "You can pay me or you can pay the doctor, it's your choice". This student chose to pay the doctor when he did not accept your offer. We can name others who made similar choices and paid a higher price, he was lucky. I know the feeling of being in a plane and realizing that you do not know how to fly it. It is definitely something you can only experience without an instructor on board and it is not a feeling that you want to experience without a way out. Ask the Quicksilver pilot about that.

Norm,
    Did you ever get the dual that was highly recommended. Now would be an excellent time to start checking into that!!!

Last edited by jedi; 03-03-2013 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Emphasis

I for one will never condone "self teaching" or "learn by doing" flight training. We get enough bad press in aviation and we don't need any more news articles about fools augering their planes into the ground.
    I don't hear anyone on this forum advocating for that either. In fact, the intent seems to be geared toward "How can we get some reliable ultralight training so guys don't start 'self teaching' themselves again". Without a usable solution it seems, in my opinion, that Part 103 will be revoked when all of the untrained pilots start killing themselves.

From FAA AC103-7: "The actions of the ultralight community will affect the direction Government takes in future regulations. The safety record of ultralight vehicles will be the foremost factor in determining the need for further regulations."

There is no substitute for dual flight training. There is no excuse not to get dual training-ever.
    It seems like the SSM is worth looking into. Evidently the hang gliding industry has had some success with the method. Also, it has been indicated that early ultralights and WWI pilots learned by that method. (before anyone starts quoting WWI pilot fatality numbers, remember they were learning in underpowered taildraggers, doing aerobatics, and being shot at).

Again, we are talking about a structured class with lots of ground school and maybe even some training devices. Not a 30 minute talk and "here are the keys". The only other option I am aware of is getting dual LSA training in an airplane that is more complex and weighs more than twice as much as an ultralight, and then having the indv self teach themselves in an UL airplane (you probably got training in a pressurized Cessna 210, GW 4000lbs, in order to fly your Pacer, GW 1950lbs). Who says the person interested in UL flying will stick out the LSA training past solo anyway? Half-taught is sometimes just as dangerous.