Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Scholler Improved Camping

You are charged from the day you reserve the site until the end of the event for the electric/water sites.

Seeing the rates for camping sites and the dorms makes me appreciate my budget motel room. It's an hour away, but it has all the amenities indoors.

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    Seeing the rates for camping sites and the dorms makes me appreciate my budget motel room. It's an hour away, but it has all the amenities indoors.
    We don’t camp to save money. Although we now camp in HBC with our plane, when we used to drive in and were in Scholler it was all about the experience, just as it today for us in HBC. For us that experience is what makes Osh worth coming to year after year. YMMV.....
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

And THAT my friend is why that ice cream joint sells all those flavors. lol I envy campers' and dormers' proximity to the event, this however was the first time I actually checked out the rates and was a bit surprised they are not lower. But hey, nobody ever said AirVenture was cheap. - lol

Quote Originally Posted by strangebird View Post
    why does the ticket site want to charge you $1,950 for a electric/ water site> that is crazy wrong what am I missing and it looks like there are a ton of available electric, water site left
    Cause you pay from today through the end of the week of Oshkosh. That's the way they work. That's why so many sites are still available.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    That's what I thought too for my first trip to Osh. Then realized the hour each way meant no running back and forth to take a break or come back at night for show/presentation. Camping is trading the pool and a/c for being able to see the whole show you drove 1000 miles for.

I can't agree with EAA's push to make tenters even more miserable by sticking them further out so they can collect even more money from the rich. Put the motorhomes and 50 foot fifth-wheels out by the road where it's no big deal for them to ride their Harleys and golf carts to the gate.

Quote Originally Posted by mc20 View Post
    > But as I see it, the tent camping area north of Camper Registration / Schuhart Ln has been offered up to the Gray Lot

well, dang-it!!!! That's a loss of 100 or more camping spots if not more. Last year parts of it were no generator bliss. That area is convenient to lots of things, especially to the north.

now the only non generator area is much further south and farther from everything.

grumble. Grumble, grumble. I guess I'm turning into a grumpy old man, but I’m bummed. Especially as camping last year was so overloaded.
    I've been camping in Camp Scholler for the past 18 years, first with my little pop up camper and then with my fully enclosed trailer. We have friends that come and go during the week with their tents. We have always abided by the generator rules regarding quiet time and enjoyed the evenings with our friends and OSH families. We liked the area between Cottonwood and Cedar since it was convenient to the showers and shopping at the camp store. Last year we had to move to south of Cedar to make room for the RV tours that came in with their 24 hour generator on wheels and the noise that created which pushed us even further from the showers. This year we are forced to move even further south away from the showers and shopping. Why can't they move the 24 hour generator south of Cedar and return the non 24 hour camping back closer to the showers
    That's my rant

Quote Originally Posted by Brianb52 View Post
    Why can't they move the 24 hour generator south of Cedar and return the non 24 hour camping back closer to the showers
    Money. EAA is all about catering to the rich. Anybody that can't see that has their nostalgic blinders on. Throw the people that can't afford land yachts and Bonanzas a bone by putting them closer to the gates and showers? No way! Ain't no money in that! A reservation or lottery system for improved sites instead of the reverse auction that favors people with the most disposable income? That's crazy talk, aka leaving cash on the table. Why worry about the peons when one dude in a Prevost staying for a couple of days more than makes up for it?

Sure makes you feel like part of the EAA community when you're schlepping by all the privileged people parked by the gates on your way to volunteer, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Money. EAA is all about catering to the rich. Anybody that can't see that has their nostalgic blinders on. Throw the people that can't afford land yachts and Bonanzas a bone by putting them closer to the gates and showers? No way! Ain't no money in that! A reservation or lottery system for improved sites instead of the reverse auction that favors people with the most disposable income? That's crazy talk, aka leaving cash on the table. Why worry about the peons when one dude in a Prevost staying for a couple of days more than makes up for it?

Sure makes you feel like part of the EAA community when you're schlepping by all the privileged people parked by the gates on your way to volunteer, doesn't it?
    Oshkosh has been EAA's cash cow for years. The movie quote "No bucks, no Buck Rogers" comes to mind. My big disappointment was when they opened the flightline to non-aviators in order to pull a few more locals through the turnstiles.

Still, it is a great event and I'll be there. Again and again, and again.

"
    That's what I thought too for my first trip to Osh. Then realized the hour each way meant no running back and forth to take a break or come back at night for show/presentation. Camping is trading the pool and a/c for being able to see the whole show you drove 1000 miles for."

As a long time tram volunteer I'm either working 8-2 or 2-8 or both on days when I double shift. At AirVenture I mostly just work or wander the grounds for a few hours off-shift. Sadly, no pool at my 1950's era stabbin' cabin motel - lol - I'm not even a pilot but I've enjoyed a life-long passion for airplanes and flight and wouldn't trade the experience or personal expense of working Oshkosh for the world.