Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AirVenture Idea: BasicMed

AirVenture Idea: BasicMed

How about having a doctor at AirVenture - actually on the grounds - who is willing to perform BasicMed exams and sign the document...?

Perhaps that could be part of a "BasicMed Forum" or similar. Pilots attend the forum, then get to make an appointment with the on-site doctor.

Thoughts....?

Patrick Hoyt
    N63PZ
    EAA Lifetime 373507

I think that'd be pretty neat.

Picture of the line for that:
    Name:  download.jpg
Views: 905
Size:  58.9 KB
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    How about having a doctor at AirVenture - actually on the grounds - who is willing to perform BasicMed exams and sign the document...?

Thoughts....?

Patrick Hoyt
    N63PZ
    EAA Lifetime 373507
    Just one!? Your idea is thoughtful theoretically. Practically, even if you could round up a minimum of 500 doctors administering medicals to thousands of people over one week, that's a logistical improbability. Dale's visual points this out X a thousand.

Granted that the demand would be high. How then to winnow down the numbers to a realistically achievable number...?

Perhaps give priority to pilots who have flown their homebuilt aircraft into AirVenture. Or who satisfy some other criteria that is dear to the EAA. Or those who are willing to make a charitable donation or something. It seems possible.

I wonder if the guys at EAA HQ have already thought about this.

Easy: Don't do it for free, no insurance paperwork filed. That will winnow it down to the few thousand willing to pay cash.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Granted that the demand would be high. How then to winnow down the numbers to a realistically achievable number...?

Perhaps give priority to pilots who have flown their homebuilt aircraft into AirVenture. Or who satisfy some other criteria that is dear to the EAA. Or those who are willing to make a charitable donation or something. It seems possible.

I wonder if the guys at EAA HQ have already thought about this.
    I kinda think the lawyers at EAA HQ are probably are saying, "If someone has a medical condition that the EAA-Sponsored medical exam misses, we'll get our [biblical beasts of burden] sued off."

I can see EAA making a facility available, even doing some promotion for the entity holding it, but can't see EAA actually sponsoring such a program.

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    I kinda think the lawyers at EAA HQ are probably are saying....
    I hope you're not right, but I have a hunch that you are.

It would be ironic if the official position of the world's most prominent aviation/homebuilding organization was the same as that of some of the world's least "aviation-knowledgable" people (the general medical community).

Still, one maintains hope. I can envision enterprising doctors setting up temporary exam stations during AirVenture week. Perhaps off the grounds in hotel rooms. Maybe in the local college dorms. Even in campers at Camp Scholler.

There's money to be made here....

- Pat

... some of the world's least "aviation-knowledgable" people (the general medical community).

- Pat
    I apologize for introducing a shiny object, but the first thing that came to mind when reading that was "Doctors and Bonanzas."
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Still, one maintains hope. I can envision enterprising doctors setting up temporary exam stations during AirVenture week. Perhaps off the grounds in hotel rooms. Maybe in the local college dorms. Even in campers at Camp Scholler.

There's money to be made here....

- Pat
    Really?

How attractive would it be for a physician who knocks down a few hundred thousand dollar$$ a year to spend his/her OSH vacation in a dorm or hotel room working for a mere pittance?
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log