Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Getting a site with electric at Camp Scholler

The first time I really lost some weight was in 1975. I had convinced myself that being 5 foot ten and 280 was great as Paul Anderson, the Olympic Champion had fit that spec. But all good things come to an end. It was a time of "wide bodies" and the Viet Nam war was over. My children's doctor convinced me I had hypertension. I needed to take action. He sent me to a Brazilian diet doctor who prescribed a diet that featured coffee at every meal. I stopped drinking beer. My children's doctor prescribed Diazide, diuretic and from a lab test he prescribed a potassium supplement. Straight forward chemical solution. Chemical Engineers was a better profession. They were more popular and made more money. I had a BS in Physics from a state school. ----- The other items in the diet were lettuce and bologna, with one slice of white bread a day.

I sought out free items, like pickled cherry peppers. Then I threw the potassium supplement away as it was purple and had sugar in it. ???!!! sweetener? I don't use sugar in my coffee. Bologna is half fat. So, I bought packages of Carnation Slender and skimmed milk. My room mate had been the son of a dairy farmer and he made up gallons of powered milk and kept them in the refrigerator. When "bossie" died he had her ground up and kept her in packages in the freezer. I did adhere rigidly to professional advice to not go below 1200 calories a day. I was able to lose about 10 pounds a month. A year passed and I was at 180 pounds. I threw away the fat man suit I had bought at Big & Tall.

Bouncing between 230 and 190 became my curse. Then in 1981 I accepted a company proposal to go to rehab. I saw how they became judges to each other. I had read the Big Book and knew doctor Bob was in town as the adjoining room contained a woman who was going to the national convention at the "Breakers" hotel. Not my thing, one day after the throttle cable on my motorcycle got frayed I carefully rode to the Ste Lucie Nuclear Power plant past all the graffiti and parked under a load of rebar being swung to build #4 . I walked up to the gate in the fence and asked to see a Health Physicist.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndsegment View Post
    The first time I really lost some weight was in 1975. I had convinced myself that being 5 foot ten and 280 was great as Paul Anderson, the Olympic Champion had fit that spec. But all good things come to an end. It was a time of "wide bodies" and the Viet Nam war was over. My children's doctor convinced me I had hypertension. I needed to take action. He sent me to a Brazilian diet doctor who prescribed a diet that featured coffee at every meal. I stopped drinking beer. My children's doctor prescribed Diazide, diuretic and from a lab test he prescribed a potassium supplement. Straight forward chemical solution. Chemical Engineers was a better profession. They were more popular and made more money. I had a BS in Physics from a state school. ----- The other items in the diet were lettuce and bologna, with one slice of white bread a day.

I sought out free items, like pickled cherry peppers. Then I threw the potassium supplement away as it was purple and had sugar in it. ???!!! sweetener? I don't use sugar in my coffee. Bologna is half fat. So, I bought packages of Carnation Slender and skimmed milk. My room mate had been the son of a dairy farmer and he made up gallons of powered milk and kept them in the refrigerator. When "bossie" died he had her ground up and kept her in packages in the freezer. I did adhere rigidly to professional advice to not go below 1200 calories a day. I was able to lose about 10 pounds a month. A year passed and I was at 180 pounds. I threw away the fat man suit I had bought at Big & Tall.

Bouncing between 230 and 190 became my curse. Then in 1981 I accepted a company proposal to go to rehab. I saw how they became judges to each other. I had read the Big Book and knew doctor Bob was in town as the adjoining room contained a woman who was going to the national convention at the "Breakers" hotel. Not my thing, one day after the throttle cable on my motorcycle got frayed I carefully rode to the Ste Lucie Nuclear Power plant past all the graffiti and parked under a load of rebar being swung to build #4 . I walked up to the gate in the fence and asked to see a Health Physicist.
    Thanks for the input. The KETO diet and intermittening fasting works great for me, although I do get a hankering for some sweets once in a while, but there's a KETO version for that too. Tons of info on youtube about KETO and also the Carnivore diet.
    Bob

Oshkosh is my opportunity to eat unhealthy for the year. Still, I am active enough during the show that I don't tend to put on weight, though the Major Googles (or whatever the name is) Brat-Eato surely risks changing that.

I would be curious to know just what the average daily walking distance of the typical attendee is. Obviously there are some better choices for food than others. As a daily commuter I always have peanut butter sandwich for a mid morning snack and granola bars for later in my pack.
    I completely avoid the carnival/junk food vendors. Hot greasy food on a hot summer’s day is not for me. The main side food court kinda has that feel. The Subway”s just north of the Forum Plaza is my favorite. Although not as many choices as a full up store you can build your own and the line tends to be shorter than most other places. Just wish there was more seating.
    Old timers remember when Zaug’s (spelling?) had a lock on the place and finally after enough complaints Paul opened he place up to others. Heck there were a couple of years when McDonald’s had a trailer. Maybe not fine dining but they were fast. They were smart; they offered only combos and rounded everything to the whole dollar. But that was before the proliferation of debit cards.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Speaking of debit cards, how does one buy food and other things at AirVenture, convert to tokens like the rodeo? credit cards with a blizzard of receipts after, paper money and major delays for change of big bills, small bills and a fanny pack? All of the above and beside/

Plastic- debit or charge always works. If buying food or some lower dollar valued items with cash use small bills. Fanny packs are kinda a waste at AV IMO as one tends to pickup stuff and then you’re stuck hand carrying it for the rest of the day. If use a small day pack and typically throw in a cheap emergency poncho, an extra pair of socks, sun screen, a pen and pad to take notes or exchange personal info a couple of bandaids for the inevitable blister and any personal meds and the like. Oh yeah a water bottle.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Echo what Airmutt said. I have a mesh backpack that can handle anything I want to put in it, water bottles, cameras, tee shirts that I might buy and everything Airmutt said. I carry several disposable rain poncho cause it's gonna rain ! The ones I get are folded in a plastic pack and are only about 3"x4" but serve the purpose. You will definitely need some kind of hat or ball cap and sun glasses, as far as money, there are ATM machines around and most vendors can handle cash, 10's and 20's easily but I'm sure 1's and 5's are welcome. Have you been on the EAA website and looked at planning your itinerary, you can print it out to make it easier to decide what and when you want to do something. Although, it may not be finalized on the website yet. I'm sure there is much more to add so just keep asking questions.
    Bob

I'm a big fan of Frogg Toggs rainsuits. VERY light weight and great protection in any serious rainfall..... which DOES seem to happen at least once each AirVenture?
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

I use my card for big ticket items like admission, camping fees, dinners off-base. I usually bring around $200 in cash for the small stuff like ice cream cones, beers at the SOS tent, and lunches.

"I usually bring around $200 in cash for the small stuff like ice cream cones, beers at the SOS tent, and lunches."

And for day #2?
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln