Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You aren't a movie star or a film producer

You aren't a movie star or a film producer

I have been getting mentally ready for the caldron of the OSH arrivals for 2019. Was unable to fly in last year due to weather concerns between home and there so we just drove in. We flew in two years ago when the weather and then the mass arrivals made it quite interesting and my wife was terrified.

Please practice your settings for NINETY KNOTS. I settled in behind a Cessna 180 and a V Tail Bonanza in my Bonanza with my gear down, about ten degrees of flaps and the airspeed nailed at 90 knots, two GPS's agreeing on the speed and then the Cessna slowed down and the first Bonanza and we slowed and at 83 knots indicated I swung out just a little to stay behind and they started going slower. I just restored my practiced power settings went back to 90 and passed them on the left. As luck would have it the Bonanza parked right next to me and gave me a dirty look and I looked back and said "NINETY KNOTS NOT 83". Slam away if you like but I was there....and this was after a 45 minute hold 30 miles south and then three 360's near Fiske.

The real reason for my post. I flew airlines for 30 plus years and we practiced "Sterile Cockpit" procedures. I just watched a video of an IFR approach and the level of "move the camera here" having to go "say again" etc. was mind boggling. I am not a fan of most FAA enforcement but that video alone would warrant at the very least an investigation and a talking to. I understand wanting to video your "achievement" and wanting to become an internet "star" but practice it beforehand and put your attention on the job at hand.

Will be flying in this year again, sans cameras and extraneous talking.

PS. The FAA violated one of our pilots for videoing his flight and posting it on the web. Cost him a months salary. Film away

83 knots isn't too bad, but a couple years ago I caught up with a Skyhawk who was apparently doing 70 kts over Fisk. Very very annoying.
    Last edited by jstro; 06-10-2019 at 11:21 AM.

Based on debriefs I have conducted or listened to, it seems that very few pilots know what power/prop/pitch settings will give them a specific airspeed, at given atmospheric conditions. It could be that the pilots noted in this string are hunting around for the right combination, as is the pilot in front of that plane, and so on. That does not excuse those pilots, nor does it mean that some pilots are simply not paying attention. It is just one more factor to consider.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    Based on debriefs I have conducted or listened to, it seems that very few pilots know what power/prop/pitch settings will give them a specific airspeed, at given atmospheric conditions. It could be that the pilots noted in this string are hunting around for the right combination, as is the pilot in front of that plane, and so on. That does not excuse those pilots, nor does it mean that some pilots are simply not paying attention. It is just one more factor to consider.
    i understand that many fly into Oshkosh loaded more heavily than they usually fly and its usually hot with high humidity, but most have flown a ways to get there so while you are on they way at a safe distance, throttle back and find that power setting that gives you the 90 or 130 you need to fly the arrival.

My question is for planes that can't comfortably to 90 kts. Mine will have a VNE of 85 when done. I know the notam says get there early but well at 65 kts cruse i aint getting anywhere early I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by Md11pilot View Post
    airspeed nailed at 90 knots, two GPS's agreeing on the speed
    My GPSs have no opinion on airspeed.

Quote Originally Posted by dougbush View Post
    My GPSs have no opinion on airspeed.
    Nor do mine...but when the airspeed indicator is saying 90 kts and the two GPS's are both showing 90 kt ground speed, then one can surmise that they are at the prescribed speed.

Some people are to busy talking to their cameras to look outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Md11pilot View Post
    Nor do mine...but when the airspeed indicator is saying 90 kts and the two GPS's are both showing 90 kt ground speed, then one can surmise that they are at the prescribed speed.

Some people are to busy talking to their cameras to look outside.
    90 kts CAS at 1800' and 20 C is 94 kts TAS. Either you've "nailed" an incorrect speed (too fast and therefore closing on the aircraft in front of you) and just happen to have a 4 kts headwind component, or the winds are something else and possibly your airspeed indicator is off. What does your POH say about IAS vs CAS at 90 kts?

2 knots

The real reason for you post was the proliferation of “movie” stars that are more interested in filming their arrivals instead of actually looking and flying a safe arrival.
    Last edited by Md11pilot; 06-12-2019 at 09:41 PM.

Here's my glamour shot about to turn final for 36R in 2018
    Name:  Oshkosh_2018_1.jpg
Views: 1133
Size:  98.9 KB

Jstro
    very nice. You are actually flying instead of talking to the camera. Will look for you there in a few weeks.