Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swift UL94 at Airventure

Swift UL94 at Airventure

I wonder if anyone else is interested in coaxing the EAA to make Swift UL94 fuel available to the general population at Airventure? Swift UL94 is an unleaded "drop in replacement" for aircraft certified to use 80 octane fuel (no STC needed). There are also STCs for aircraft that require minimum 91/96 Avgas. I was told at Airventure 2018 that Swift UL94 was available at the ultralight field, but not to the general public. I am ready to "get the lead out".

Count me in!! I fly a Rotax 912, so have no need for avgas at all. I've filled up with UL94 at Portage a couple of times, love that stuff when there's no ethanol-free premium MOGAS available. Last time I was at Airventure I walked by the Swift Fuels tent... they had a truck there, I wondered why not just bring a full one and stop over in HBP/HBC to fill up the ones that wanted it.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Swift has brought their fuel to other fly-ins such as Triple Tree. I’d certainly fill up with Swift if they had it at OSH. From their map it appears they are bringing it to OSH. https://swiftfuels.com/ul94-map

That Oshkosh map location appears to be at the Ultralight area?

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    That Oshkosh map location appears to be at the Ultralight area?
    Yes, I was told by the folks at the Swift tent that UL94 was available only at the Ultralight area. Since UL94 also meets the specs for auto fuel I expect it is the main fuel there. I would like to be able to fill up my certified airplane with UL94 in the GA parking area. I realize that it probably would cause issues for Basler as they would probably be the ones to supply it. So be it.

If Basler was to furnish Swift fuel they would have to have a tank and truck just for those fuels, I don't know if they could clean and use one the had previously held other fuel. I don't think there would be enough demand to make it profitable. There are a number of Rotax engines around, but those planes probably would take 10 gal and not add up to much. I used to fly a Rotax 337 or 447 cant recall or what fuel we used. If the current Rotax can use normal 100 ll that should take care of most planes. Its a side issue but T-6s are certified for 80 octane regular avgas, so I assume they could use 94 octane, also. Im not sure you could talk an T-6 owner into using a alternate fuel, bit if so they do use a lot of it, maybe 25to 30 gph in cruise.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 12-07-2018 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    If Basler was to furnish Swift fuel they would have to have a tank and truck just for those fuels, I don't know if they could clean and use one the had previously held other fuel. I don't think there would be enough demand to make it profitable. There are a number of Rotax engines around, but those planes probably would take 10 gal and not add up to much. I used to fly a Rotax 337 or 447 cant recall or what fuel we used. If the current Rotax can use normal 100 ll that should take care of most planes. Its a side issue but T-6s are certified for 80 octane regular avgas, so I assume they could use 94 octane, also. Im not sure you could talk an T-6 owner into using a alternate fuel, bit if so they do use a lot of it, maybe 25to 30 gph in cruise.
    I would like to invite those wanting UL Swift fuel to fly out of the light sport field and join the down on the farm fun. The T-6 does not fit in very well but most others would do well. Even the T-6 could operate out of the strip if exceptions were made to accommodate the pattern speeds.

The farm does not have the long lines and swarm arrivals of the main show runways. It is a well kept secret. Would AirVenture officials please comment?

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    I would like to invite those wanting UL Swift fuel to fly out of the light sport field and join the down on the farm fun. The T-6 does not fit in very well but most others would do well. Even the T-6 could operate out of the strip if exceptions were made to accommodate the pattern speeds.

The farm does not have the long lines and swarm arrivals of the main show runways. It is a well kept secret. Would AirVenture officials please comment?
    I think you misunderstand. There are thousands of certified airplanes such as older Bonanzas, Skyhawks, Skylanes, etc that are certified for 80 octane fuel. These would benefit from omitting the lead in the fuel by using UL94. They would not be welcome at the Ultralight field, and it would not be safe or even possible.

Quote Originally Posted by PJZajkowski View Post
    I think you misunderstand. There are thousands of certified airplanes such as older Bonanzas, Skyhawks, Skylanes, etc that are certified for 80 octane fuel. These would benefit from omitting the lead in the fuel by using UL94.
    Not quite as simple as that. They were certified for 80 octane LEADED fuel. IIRC, the lead acts as a lubricant on valve guides, etc. 100 "Low Lead" fuel has four times the lead as the old 80 octane, which for many engines, is too much of a good thing.

I run my C85 on unleaded car gas in the summer, but switch to 100LL in the fall due to gas-stability issues. It seems to handle the mixed diet.

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Not quite as simple as that. They were certified for 80 octane LEADED fuel. IIRC, the lead acts as a lubricant on valve guides, etc. 100 "Low Lead" fuel has four times the lead as the old 80 octane, which for many engines, is too much of a good thing.

I run my C85 on unleaded car gas in the summer, but switch to 100LL in the fall due to gas-stability issues. It seems to handle the mixed diet.

Ron Wanttaja
    My understanding is that it is indeed that simple. If lead is needed as a lubricant, then we are all going to be in trouble when (and if) unleaded 100 octane is ever created and replaces 100LL.

From the SWIFT website describing UL94:
    "This proprietary unleaded fuel formulation is a blend of hydrocarbons designed to meet the fuel specification standards of ASTM D7592, D7547, and D4814. This fuel is FAA-certified for use in up to 65% of the US piston fleet; up to 100,000 aircraft are already certified to use the fuel based upon existing Type Certificates and/or Autogas STC's. An additional 25,000+ aircraft, those whose engines are rated for minimum Grade 91/96 Avgas, are eligible to purchase an FAA Supplemental Type Certificate (STC) for the use of Unleaded UL94 Avgas."