Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nice November Morning

Nice November Morning

So far we've been blessed with some wonderful warm weather this November. We've had our share of rain and even and October snow but when it's nice, it's really nice.

Today was about as nice as we can get here in South Central Pennsylvania. I only had a couple of hours this morning so had to stay local, but enjoyed flying low and slow above the Lancaster County scenery.

Pictures and more: http://flightmusings.blogspot.com
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Dan McCormack
    Smoketown, PA (S37)
    N24286, 1940 Aeronca Chief 65-LA (Lycoming O-145-B2)
    CFI
    http://flightmusings.blogspot.com/

Great pics, Dan. Thanks. I didn't know there was a turf strip at Smoketown ? Charted or did you just make one?
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

My old haunts! I was a CFI out of York (THV) back in the early 90s. We used to take students over to Baublitz (9W8) or Bermudian Valley (07N) to work on soft and short field procedures. Had an instrument student with a Mooney at Lancaster (LNS). Actually flew in and out of Devener (2W7) before it closed and also spent some time teaching and living at Hanover (6W6). Along with many other airports in the area.

Thanks for the great pics and a little stroll down memory lane.
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

I'm based at Bermudian Valley. Didn't know it was a short field
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375

Quote Originally Posted by rosiejerryrosie View Post
    How short it was depended on how many hours were on the C-150 or Tomahawk I was in that day! Back then THV was about 4,200 feet, some students needed all of that to land the mighty C-150 during training. A couple of trips to Bermudian Valley or Baublitz usually resolved that issue. :evil grin:
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

True story. The local designated examiner flew into Bermudian one day to give a checkride to a local student and ran off he end of the runway, converting his rigid nosewheel into a retractable. Took about a month to get it repaired and off the field. I took my check ride with him about three months later. After a relatively easy checkride he said "Lets go park it and I'll fill out the paperwork". I asked, "What? No short field landings?", and he replied, "THIS IS A SHORT FIELD!". Gave me a chuckle, knowing the history....
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375

Quote Originally Posted by rosiejerryrosie View Post
    True story. The local designated examiner flew into Bermudian one day to give a checkride to a local student and ran off he end of the runway, converting his rigid nosewheel into a retractable. Took about a month to get it repaired and off the field. I took my check ride with him about three months later. After a relatively easy checkride he said "Lets go park it and I'll fill out the paperwork". I asked, "What? No short field landings?", and he replied, "THIS IS A SHORT FIELD!". Gave me a chuckle, knowing the history....
    That's just plain (plane?) funny there!

It's 2200ft of grass.....I guess it depends on what you're flying. That's a short field in my book. I was taught to operate by the POH value +50% (+100% if runway is wet, grass, downsloping, etc) just to be safe.

Back then THV was about 4,200 feet, some students needed all of that to land the mighty C-150 during training
    I can beat that. One of the other students of my old CFI (now departed) famously ate up the entire 8,200 feet of RWY 5 at KMBS during his first solo landing (in a 172). Needless to say, there was much good natured ribbing and some remediation after that.
    Last edited by steveinindy; 11-29-2011 at 12:27 PM.

Landing's not the problem with short fields -- I can be down and stopped in 500 feet in the Chief, and routinely landed the C205 and BE-36 in less than 1000'

It's getting back out that may be problematic.

---------------------------------------------------
    Dan McCormack
    Smoketown, PA (S37)
    N24286, 1940 Aeronca Chief 65-LA (Lycoming O-145-B2)
    CFI
    http://flightmusings.blogspot.com/

I taught out of York From 2000 till about 2006. I used to take my students to Bermudian shreveport and kampel. The cocky ones I would take to Clearview (2W2) and make them land downhill on 32. 1830 long and about a 30 foot drop in the first half.
    Last edited by KDoersom; 11-29-2011 at 07:47 PM.

Prairie Cottage Airport, 8KS8, Chapman KS
    Your all invited to our Fly Ins at Leo's Place Airport 1KS3 in the beautiful Kansas flint hills. 30 ft wide crossing runways with plenty of uphill downhill action. The long runway is 1100 ft. Keeps you on your toes.
    Jim Clark, Chairman National Biplane Fly In, www.nationalbiplaneflyin.com. Currently flying: 1929 Waco CSO, 1939 Waco EGC-8, 1946 Piper J-3, 1955 Piper PA22/20, 1956 Beech G35, 1984 Beech A36 & 2001 Vans RV9.
    You love a lot of things if you live around them, but there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, nor any before nor any after, that is as lovely as a great airplane, and men who love them are faithful to them even though they leave them for others.
    - Ernest Hemingway