Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: OSH arrivals

90 is an uncomfortable speed in the Navion. It's faster than my gear down speed (but they want the gear down too).
    How so? Does the handling get sloppy or something?
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

I am so happy we are having this discussion and would hope that the powers to be are listening. I am always amazed how creative we pilots can be.

The 2011 Oshkosh AirVenture Notam clearly states:
    Pilots are required to adhere to all published OSH arrival and
    departure procedures and to all ATC instructions. Failure to do so
    may jeopardize your safety and the safety of others. Enforcement
    actions may be taken following ATC and FSDO investigations.
    found twice in the notam :
    If you have to “S-turn” to follow an
    aircraft, break off the procedure; return to
    Ripon; and follow another aircraft of similar
    speed and altitude.

I have flown as pilot in command into Oshkosh 12 plus times in a 59 Cessna 182, 3 times in a 76 Cessna 210 and once in 2003 in a J-3 Cub. When flying the Cub, no aircraft would or could follow in trail. All would pass on the right of the Cub.
    Last edited by Rick Rademacher; 03-28-2012 at 07:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Rademacher View Post
    I am so happy we are having this discussion and would hope that the powers to be are listening. I am always amazed how creative we pilots can be.

The 2011 Oshkosh AirVenture Notam clearly states:
    Pilots are required to adhere to all published OSH arrival and
    departure procedures and to all ATC instructions. Failure to do so
    may jeopardize your safety and the safety of others. Enforcement
    actions may be taken following ATC and FSDO investigations.
    found twice in the notam :
    If you have to “S-turn” to follow an
    aircraft, break off the procedure; return to
    Ripon; and follow another aircraft of similar
    speed and altitude.

I have flown as pilot in command into Oshkosh 12 plus times in a 59 Cessna 182, 3 times in a 76 Cessna 210 and once in 2003 in a J-3 Cub. When flying the Cub, no aircraft would or could follow in trail. All would pass on the right of the Cub.
    I promise that once I get my plane built, I'll be more than happy to fly behind your J-3. Granted, your cruise speed is ten knots above the stall speed of my design with a full load of fuel, passengers and baggage but if I go light it should open that margin up a bit.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

I will second the suggestion to come in early for your first time. We purposely arrived just at 7am and were still in a small pack of 6 or 7 but it was interesting but fun. Another way to make it fun is try to come in a flight of 2 or 3 or ? We do that now and then we camp together too. We alway put the most experienced in first ( he handles the radio too) then follow along like ducks. This gives a newbie a lot more confidence and even a bit of time to rubber neck on his way in. Larry
    No matter how far you push the envelope; its still stationary!

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    I promise that once I get my plane built, I'll be more than happy to fly behind your J-3. Granted, your cruise speed is ten knots above the stall speed of my design with a full load of fuel, passengers and baggage but if I go light it should open that margin up a bit.
    no goes into oshkosh "light"

the only things I hate about AirVenture---my face hurts the whole time from muscle spasms because I have this huge smile on my face as soon as I get within 30 miles of Oshkosh
    And the way my feet hurt after 7 or 8 days of walking the grounds
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by jhw View Post
    no goes into oshkosh "light"
    'Light' is a relative term when a third of your MTOW is fuel and you're designing to carry 300 lbs of baggage and 400-800 lbs of people (depending upon how one configures the back of the "cabin").
    Last edited by steveinindy; 04-02-2012 at 10:52 AM.

I have flown to OSH four times; had to turn around due to weather in Nebraska once. The other three times I arrived over Ripon and used 36L twice and 18L (a taxiway) once. All went well except for a moron ground "handler" that didn't know what he was doing...waved me through a barricade then gave me hell for doing it...I really think this guy was either drunk or high on something...I mentioned earlier I filed a formal complaint with EAA and never heard anything. Air operations were just fine, but for the ONE jerk, the ground handling was really sad.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    'Light' is a relative term when a third of your MTOW is fuel and you're designing to carry 300 lbs of baggage and 400-800 lbs of people (depending upon how one configures the back of the "cabin").
    Doesn't seem relevant, whether it's been in a cherokee or a 421 my wife has been able to max it out with "necessities" without even trying

Quote Originally Posted by jhw View Post
    Doesn't seem relevant, whether it's been in a cherokee or a 421 my wife has been able to max it out with "necessities" without even trying
    It is relevant because I'm pretty sure that if it's just the two of us, there's no need for us to bring more than 300 lbs of crap. That working baggage load was picked because it equates out to about weight of dive gear for 4 people (I weighed my stuff and multiplied it by four). Theoretically, we could actually carry quite a bit more than that with the lower fuel load but the point remains that some of us will have a little more of a weight margin to play with and if you really need to bring more than three or five hundred pounds of stuff it might be wise to consider whether bringing the kitchen sink is really necessary. LOL

That said, maybe I am just lucky insofar as having a fiancee who packs light for trips.