Page 102 of 109 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1083

Thread: Building a Nieuport 11...

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    I figured you had a high-speed trailer!
    After as much time as I spent re-rigging that aircraft I sure ain't taking it apart just to put it on a trailer that I don't have....then put it back together....then take it apart....then put it back together!
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Ah, the rigging isn't a problem, as the cables are cut to length and you most likely have easy to remember turnbuckle positions. This part surprised me in the Noop, as I've had to take the wings off and back on for a number of reasons.

Add in at events like Gardner and Russ' gathering there is always a couple three guys who know enough to not do damage (at worst) or are doing it themselves (at best) to help out.

I'm going to show up in Ohio on Friday morning just for that reason - to help un-trailer - as that is where the real conversations happen and the learning stuff, um, learned.

[edit]

The real concern is crap getting damaged in loading, transit, and unloading.

At Gardener we almost set a wing down on top of a big dog doo, for example.
    Last edited by Frank Giger; 09-13-2019 at 08:03 PM.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Got a chance this last weekend for a quick evaluation of the fuselage and engine.

First: Man, there is a LOT of good left on the fuselage. The longerons are toast (I knew that), but what I didn't know is that when they deformed, it was at points where only a few of the cross members bent. Most of the side tubes are just fine, which is shocking.

Still can't get over how the right wings are pretty much untouched as well as the tail feathers.

Second: The intake manifold to the left side of the engine broke right at the head, and the rear bolt looks a bit bent. At best, it's a new intake manifold. If the bolt ovalized the hole in the head, well....

At any rate it's a tear down and inspection.

So far it looks like $325 for a new cowl, a couple hundred for the intake manifold, and maybe the same if I need a new head. And I haven't gotten to ordering tubing yet.

Oh, and I found some small gouges on the prop, so off to Alaina it goes for inspection and repair.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Initial evaluation...mostly good, some bad.

Banned
    I know nothing about the possibilities of repairing and remaking to new flying condition a totalled crashed airframe and engine. All I can say is good luck, hope you get to do it.

What impresses me though is your unwavering optimism and truly amazing positive attitude. If you could bottle and sell these, you would make more than enough money to buy a new kit and engine.

An aircraft is only truly totaled if one loses their data plate.

Banned
    Technically yes, mentally and emotionally not so much unless one is in major denial.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Technically yes, mentally and emotionally not so much unless one is in major denial.
    That should Fire you up Frank....
    Gotta Fly...
    PS I watched the video , I pictured you different than you looked. Now get a Haircut...
    Last edited by planecrazzzy; 10-15-2019 at 06:28 PM.

Hi Frank,

Haven't heard from you in a while in the forum. We hope you are ok

Yep, I'm fine.

The medical part has been, um, challenging. Further scans revealed that I broke pretty much every non-floating rib on the left side, which is why it's taking so long to heal.

Plus work. Sigh. Why in the world I agreed to working on aircraft is beyond me (okay, it was money), but they've really put me to work doing all manner of repair stuff, from resurrecting Cub ribs (terrible) to fabricating pieces (not so bad).

Indeed, working at C&D (who restored the EAA sweepstakes Cub and are doing the 50th anniversary raffle plane) has increased my building skills tremendously - even though it was building the Nieuport that got me the job.

To catch up, I've decided to just completely rebuild the fuselage - I'll use it for reference along with plans and my builder's log - reusing the controls, stuff on the dash, and a few other things.