Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stits SA-3A Playboy

Stits SA-3A Playboy

Building a Stits Playboy over a number of years. Relocations and kids made some of the materials disappear unfortunately. So, am getting to the wing attach fittings and remember someone saying that the plans call for the wrong angle of incidence. My plans say 3 degrees and are dated August 1957. Anyone else heard the angle was changed?

There was a modification to the horizontal stab where the front tube crosses the fuselage. I have those drawings if anyone needs them.
    Name:  SA-3A Elevations.jpg
Views: 2311
Size:  75.3 KB
    Last edited by prasmussen; 02-11-2019 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Needed a picture :-)
    The journey is the reward.

Playboy

Quote Originally Posted by prasmussen View Post
    Building a Stits Playboy over a number of years. Relocations and kids made some of the materials disappear unfortunately. So, am getting to the wing attach fittings and remember someone saying that the plans call for the wrong angle of incidence. My plans say 3 degrees and are dated August 1957. Anyone else heard the angle was changed?

There was a modification to the horizontal stab where the front tube crosses the fuselage. I have those drawings if anyone needs them.
    Name:  SA-3A Elevations.jpg
Views: 2311
Size:  75.3 KB
    Will pull the archives this weekend and see if I have the answer. I know the two place was 2 degrees but not sure about the single place. Will let you know what I find. Vr.. Don Stits

Quote Originally Posted by Snaproll View Post
    Will pull the archives this weekend and see if I have the answer. I know the two place was 2 degrees but not sure about the single place. Will let you know what I find. Vr.. Don Stits
    Reviewed the original prints and working drawings and appears 3 degrees is correct for the SA3A Playboy.
    VR..... Don Stits

Stits SA-3A Playboy

Reviewed the original prints and working drawings and appears 3 degrees is correct for the SA3A Playboy.
    VR..... Don Stits
    Thank you very much Don. If you promise not to make fun of them, I'll send some pictures when starts to look more like an airplane. Three degrees it is!

[ATTACH]7723
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by prasmussen; 02-16-2019 at 12:03 PM.

Playboy

Thank you very much Don. If you promise not to make fun of them, I'll send some pictures when starts to look more like an airplane. Three degrees it is!

[ATTACH]7723
    Appreciate the pictures when you reach that point. No, I won’t laugh, remember the original and all of the trial and error with all of the designs. Best wishes.. Don. EAA Lifetime 43201

So here's a thought: the wing outboard of the strut attachments seems vulnerable to twisting, especially since Raymer recommends I enlarge the ailerons slightly. Anyone know where advice about the double drag wires can be found? Would it be wise or just extra weight to stiffen the outer portion of this wing?

Name:  Drag wires.jpg
Views: 1459
Size:  40.5 KB
    Last edited by prasmussen; 02-23-2019 at 09:07 AM.

Name:  SA-3A Profile 2-22-19.jpg
Views: 1401
Size:  89.4 KB

OK
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by prasmussen; 02-27-2019 at 06:25 AM.

So here's a thought: the wing outboard of the strut attachments seems vulnerable to twisting, especially since Raymer recommends I enlarge the ailerons slightly. Anyone know where advice about the double drag wires can be found? Would it be wise or just extra weight to stiffen the outer portion of this wing?

Name:  Drag wires.jpg
Views: 1459
Size:  40.5 KB
    Would recommend staying with original design which performs well, has plenty of aileron for both low speed and high speed maneuvers, does not have a wing twist issue, etc. When final rigging is accomplished, you will be applying a slight twist to achieve the wash out called out in the plans. I have no idea what the qualifications are for those recommending modifications nor how many aircraft they have designed, built and tested. Best wishes.... Don

Thanks Don!

Would recommend staying with original design which performs well, has plenty of aileron for both low speed and high speed maneuvers, does not have a wing twist issue, etc. When final rigging is accomplished, you will be applying a slight twist to achieve the wash out called out in the plans. I have no idea what the qualifications are for those recommending modifications nor how many aircraft they have designed, built and tested. Best wishes.... Don
    REALLY appreciate your opinion! Hardly a surprise I'm getting all kinds of advice from you-can-design-an-airplane books and the local hangar visiters. My aviation pals are still building and we'll see how sound the advice is on their first flight I guess. IMHO, maintaining the spirit of the 1950's design is what makes this airplane so special. It has a place in the history of home building I'm sure too few people know about.

I would still like to know how much stronger double drag wires make a wing. Saw an example being constructed at Oshkosh for what I remember was a racer with fairly short wings. Wish I had a picture. Do have a picture of a GeeBee wing with single wires thoName:  GeeBee Wing Shape.jpg
Views: 1275
Size:  90.3 KB