Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Inspirational fly by

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Saber, Hans frankly no one on the fourm before, except Hal Bryan in general has asked me to write about Spitfire flying. I think most people or at least most people who write on this forum prefer the more basic homebuilts. Thank you for your interest. If there is anything specific I can answer I'd be glad to. I'm not sure where Mt Grays is, where is it in relation to Corona Pass and Leadville? Going west would likely been coming from Ft Collins Downtown or Jeffco or Centennial. Its a great airplane, in 20years of going to airshows I never went to one where anyone had a plane I'd trade for.
    Wow, two-seater, even rarer. Maybe I ought to be nicer to you. :-)

Wikipedia article said it was still being repaired (as of Oct '16) . Is it back airworthy yet?

Ron Wanttaja

Hans, thanks for your interest. I could talk for hours about it if we were in person, but frankly folks on this eaa forum haven't seem much interested. I used to be on another forum and some people there seem resentful of the plane though they didn't put it in those words. Here there are several people who've chosen to be enemies and whom I ve never even met so dont know exactly why. I dont rate people , good or bad on the airplane they own but I think some do.Public forums can bring out good folks like you, but also the most petty crtitisms in some people.
    So to answer your post, do you know the date that you were on the mountain and saw the fly by? I ask because my normal route would not be over 1-70 due to high terrain and limeited places to land. Nomally Id go north that is Ft Collins to Kremling, usually over Corona Pass but not always, then by Eagle and home. Or I d go south from Jeffco near Leadville and over Hagerman Pass or Independance Pass. Not often in between especially as you said the flight you saw was going east to west.
    I thought we had some of the best airshow weekends I have ever been to, glad you enjoyed it. I, we and especially Kim Bracher worked very hard on them. Jimmy Franklin put on a good show. Its Howard Pardue not Larry who was a good friend and top EAA and CAF performer and sadly lost a few years ago. Really miss him. Ever see the beer commercial about DOS EQUIS, most interesting man in the world, Howard was like that.Howard loved to fly, any airplane, and he had a huge sense of adventure, especiallyu for a guy from a tiny town in west Texas. How many people do you know who have been snow skiing indoors in Dubai?
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 10-12-2017 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Hans, thanks for your interest. I could talk for hours about it if we were in person, but frankly folks on this eaa forum haven't seem much interested.
    So, you think people on this forum are more interested in North Korean politics, atomic bomb design, and the Indianapolis 500 race than a first-person account of what it's like to own and fly one of the most iconic warbirds of all time? One that you had more than 1,000 hours of flying time, probably more than many wartime pilots?

Interesting attitude.

Ron Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 10-12-2017 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    So, you think people on this forum are more interested in North Korean politics, atomic bomb design, and the Indianapolis 500 race than a first-person account of what it's like to own and fly one of the most iconic warbirds of all time? One that you had more than 1,000 hours of flying time, probably more than many wartime pilots?

Interesting attitude.

Ron Wanttaja
    +1