Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AV2017 Concert

I don't know about them. I found out that they're not bare; not naked; and not even ladies!

Also, I don't think they're our kind of people. It's well known that If (They) Had a Million Dollars, they would buy:

• A house
    • Furniture for the house
    • A K-Car
    • A tree fort
    • A refrigerator
    • Food to put in the refrigerator
      • Including Pre-wrapped sausages

• A fake fur coat
    • An exotic pet
    • John Merrick's remains
    • A rental limousine
    • Lots of Kraft dinners
    • Fancy Dijon ketchup
    • A green dress
    • Art
    • And a monkey

Is there an airplane on their list? No!
    Last edited by PaulDow; 08-07-2016 at 10:38 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulDow View Post
    Maybe not on that old list, but I happen to know that Ed Robertson of the Ladies is a pilot who owns(or did own, I recall he had a slight crash) a beautiful Cessna 206 on amphibs. In fact, he also had his own television series called, "Ed's Up" in which he flew to different locations in his 206.

So, by process of osmosis, the Ladies are definitely our kind of people. :>)

Quote Originally Posted by PaulDow View Post
    I don't know about them. I found out that they're not bare; not naked; and not even ladies!

Also, I don't think they're our kind of people. It's well known that If (They) Had a Million Dollars, they would buy:

• A house
    • Furniture for the house
    • A K-Car
    • A tree fort
    • A refrigerator
    • Food to put in the refrigerator
      • Including Pre-wrapped sausages

• A fake fur coat
    • An exotic pet
    • John Merrick's remains
    • A rental limousine
    • Lots of Kraft dinners
    • Fancy Dijon ketchup
    • A green dress
    • Art
    • And a monkey

According to one financial analysis of the song I've seen, the total cost of the items on that list is around $263,000. So there would be be plenty of cash left over for a very nice airplane if one was so inclined.
    Tom Charpentier
    Government Relations Director
    EAA Lifetime #1082006 | Vintage #722921

I crewed for the "rubber ducky" hot air balloon that night, so I sort of "attended" the concert. Being a geezer, I'd never heard of Third Pimple on my Nose, or whatever the band was named, but didn't find their stuff objectionable. We were pretty busy coordinating the "glows," so I didn't pay much attention to them. I was surprised they had the audience on the ramp, though. Grass would be much more inviting to sit and picnic on, except it's on the flightline and there's not supposed to be any picnicking. If it was raining, the concrete ramp would prevent the creation of a "mosh pit," so that's a plus...unless you're into mosh pits, 4-wheelers, and all things mud.

Mostly I don't care whether there is a concert or not, but I really like Gary Senise's Lt. Dan Band. They play music from all eras, and they do it well. That he is such a supporter of Veterans and the military, although he hasn't served, adds to his credibility for me.

One of the most meaningful experiences I've had at OSH occurred a couple of years ago, at his band's performance. The Veterans Honor Flight had landed, and a slew of old Vets and their helpers came into the audience area to the applause of everyone there. Then Gary asked for all of the Vets, old and new, and active military, to stand up and be recognized. A young woman (in her 20s) near me and I were already standing, so we raised our hands. We looked at each other, clasped hands, and then hugged, both of us with tears streaming down our cheeks. This old man and that young lady bonded for a moment over shared experiences. We'll not likely ever see each other again, but for that brief moment in time, we were brother and sister.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

I was planning to attend 2017 regardless, but having BNL for the opening show is the icing on the cake. Love them, they're a pretty significant part of the playlist that I have on in the shop when airplane building. I've never bothered to go to a concert at Oshkosh, but won't miss this one if I can possibly help it. I'm 40, for what it's worth, so I probably don't fit into either the geezer or whippersnapper categories.

Patrick

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by psween View Post
    I was planning to attend 2017 regardless, but having BNL for the opening show is the icing on the cake. Love them,
    ++1

Although, IMO, The Ladies lost some of their signature lead singer distinctive voice/sound when Steven Page left the band in 2009. But still a terrific unique fun group to listen to. And original band founder Ed Robertson will be in his element, he's a pilot and an aviation freak.

I've been to Airventure a couple times so far and I've yet to make it a point to attend the main headline concert. I go to Airventure for a myriad of reasons and the headline concert isn't it. I understand the allure and I'm a great fan of music. Steve Miller Band, REO Speedwagon, the Bentley fellow, Lt. Dan on the side, et cetera. I guess the point I'm trying to make is why the fuss? I see it is an added bonus and for some; some don't get to experience live music like this but once a year. Something I think we all need to consider is in this day and age of correctness, tenderness, and grievances, is EAA's position. To choose a performer who doesn't exemplify a political point or has a history of profane lyrics, pickings are slim. Contrary to an earlier post that suggested good bands cost too much.

I'm cool with some Bare Naked Ladies. Yep, the band and the ones that really matter.....

Quote Originally Posted by deftone View Post
    Dierks Bentley last year was certainly a "top of the line" performer, and in my opinion was very entertaining (I do live in the South so country music is in my blood, haha) Its the first time I have ever gone to an "opening concert". I typically am not attracted to most of the performers, including this year and apparently, next year. Like others have said, its not really that much of a deal, we go there for the aviation, not 1hr of music. The performer has no bearing on my decision to attend OSH
    And Dierks Bently is a pilot! Good choice all around!