Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Why I won't be back to Oshkosh

Prairie Cottage Airport, 8KS8, Chapman KS
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    I agree with John.Since learning the museum isn't "clothing optional" I too have drawn a line in the sand.
    Now THAT would keep me away. Now I just have to get that picture out of my head.
    Jim Clark, Chairman National Biplane Fly In, www.nationalbiplaneflyin.com. Currently flying: 1929 Waco CSO, 1939 Waco EGC-8, 1946 Piper J-3, 1955 Piper PA22/20, 1956 Beech G35, 1984 Beech A36 & 2001 Vans RV9.
    You love a lot of things if you live around them, but there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, nor any before nor any after, that is as lovely as a great airplane, and men who love them are faithful to them even though they leave them for others.
    - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    I really doubt if this is 100% true - have you ever seen what goes in the baggage compartments of private planes during hunting season?

Doesn't have to be a private plane. You can carry a gun on an airliner as long as it's checked.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Doesn't have to be a private plane. You can carry a gun on an airliner as long as it's checked.
    And you comply with the other (casing, declaratio) requirements and you are NOT in a place that bars such (like NYC).

can't believe

Can' t believe this thread has 6 pages... !!!

Believe it! LOL!

Mark, do you think the parents of the unarmed 17 year old boy that was shot and killed in Sanford, Florida, got a good laugh out of it?

What's the NRA positon on that, maybe the kid should have been carrying his own gun?
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 03-22-2012 at 03:04 PM.

Bill, I'm not going to have this debate with you. You are obviously incapable of grasping my point, which was simply that it was my hope that EAA had not taken an anti-gun position. You don't like guns, or gun people, or toy guns, or finger guns, or whatever the case may be... fine. That doesn't mean that I have to answer for every nut job that commits a crime involving a gun.

Is it my fault that the kid in FL was shot and killed? Did my gun do it? What is your point? Are you going to accuse me of not knowing what it's like again? Let me just save you the effort and explain to you that my brother-in-law was killed by a gun... shot in the head... it was an accident. The same way that cars have accidents, airplanes have accidents, boats have accidents, and a variety of other methods that we as human beings injure or kill ourselves or each other every day... what can I say, we live in an imperfect world.

I'm not really looking to get banned from the list, so I'll not completely flame you with the facts. My point has been stated, and as a dues paying member of this organization I feel that I have a legitimate concern. I don't have to justify to you or anyone else my porpose or desire to own or carry guns. Have a good day!

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Guys, this thread was about someone raising specific questions about an apparent policy decision by EAA and I still owe you some follow up on that, I haven't forgotten. The debate, while spirited, was reasonable when it was focused on "should they or shouldn't they", but now it's turned into a bunch of noise about gun ownership, some tragic events, and yet more arguing back and forth.

Enough is enough - this thread is closed.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Hi everyone - Here's what I learned after talking to some key people here:

EAA and AirVenture have always had a policy of no firearms allowed on the grounds. There is no change to that long-standing policy. Under the new Wisconsin concealed-carry law, those facilities and events with such a policy must now post it.

- Hal
    Last edited by Hal Bryan; 03-27-2012 at 02:38 PM.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation