SolidWorks (Dassault) works in the meantime just like e.g. Fusion360 (Autodesk). We hobby designers, aircraft builders, private users are lured with a very good CAD system and super conditions. We rely on the promises and work our way into the system. Yes and suddenly the reins are tightened, substantial restrictions, no private data on the own PC (SW), extreme restrictions in CAM (F360) or no CAM at all (SW). But running costs for the general use of the CAD system.

But in return, fuzzy promises from the manufacturers or their lobbyists. I for my part have decided in any case. Away from SolidWorks, away from Fusion360. I already spend more than enough money on my machines. I also want to get something back from my hobby and not feed the CAD industry in their greedy way. Get the money from those who work professionally with CAD and earn money with it, but not from us hobby designers. I had expected more from the EAA. However, the EAA treats this topic very half-heartedly to not interested. Too bad, I would have hoped for a little more commitment.

I will now deal with FreeCAD. A free system, which can be used very professionally, runs stable and has earned the support of the community. Everything I need for my airplanes is there: Professional 3D CAD and CAM, united in a living and constantly improving system that is not tied to just one operating system.

Peter