Page 16 of 39 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh 2021?

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    You recovered from Covid...does that mean you don't believe ANYONE has died from it? Shouldn't precautions be based on protecting the most number of people?

Of course not......but let's be honest, people die from sicknesses all the time. This one hit us hard, and seemingly fast. Combined with the fact that from all indications, nobody's immune system had seen it before, it is unavoidable that people would die from it.....I'm not trying to be harsh here, but from a facts point of view.

If I thought that wearing a mask would actually save the actual people I passed by in the store, etc, sure, I'd wear one. Maybe it's my rural life, but I just don't buy into the "if it saves just one life" way of thinking. If that was the case, they wouldn't have sent Covid patients to nursing homes.....That was an action that directly killed people (and I believe more people than would ever have been killed if nobody wore a mask).

Look, I'm not wishing that anyone gets sick, or God forbid, dies, but there needs to be a balance between personal freedom and personal responsibility for one's own health.

Anyway, However this all works out, I wish you all good health, and a great Airventure this year! (I'm staying slightly optomistic on that last one)

Quote Originally Posted by streffpilot View Post
    My point stands. If you don’t have it, you can’t give it. With rapid testing, if you want to know, you can.
    Not correct. First hand knowledge here. My son is in elementary school and has been in the classroom all day, every day this school year (with everyone wearing masks). We were notified a week and a half ago (a Saturday) that his teacher was COVID positive. Our whole family got rapid tested that day. All of us came up negative.

To be sure, we had him re-tested (both tests) on Monday (two days later). The rapid test was positive and the longer test result came back positive on Wednesday.

So, there can definitely be a lag period between when you catch the virus and when you will start testing positive.

BTW, he's doing fine, locked away in his room playing video games for 10 days with us shoving food under the door...

If I thought that wearing a mask would actually save the actual people I passed by in the store, etc, sure, I'd wear one.
    Medical masks have been used to minimize transmission of disease for over 100 years; there are pictures of doctors in the Civil War era wearing them. Until a year ago, there was no controversy....NONE....about the use of masks to reduce the effect of contagious diseases. Seems to me that millions of medical professionals would have been eager to get rid of them, otherwise.

(Good article at:
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...207-1/fulltext

Maybe it's my rural life, but I just don't buy into the "if it saves just one life" way of thinking.
    How analogous is your rural life to the AirVenture environment? Do you think a crowded, public venue requires more precautions than a lifestyle that meets, say, two strangers a day?

Look, I'm not wishing that anyone gets sick, or God forbid, dies, but there needs to be a balance between personal freedom and personal responsibility for one's own health.
    I am absolutely fascinated. I've been to many businesses over the years that have signs saying, "No Shirts, No Shoes, No Service." Please explain to me why THIS is not a threat to my personal freedom, while wearing a mask is.

Ron Wanttaja

Hey I’m totally happy that I got my first vaccine dose (Moderna) today. Had to drive an hour up into north Georgia but it was worth it. As difficult it was to get scheduled I was surprised how low the foot traffic was. There were 9 station in my area but only 3 including myself were in use. In and out in less than 20 minutes and 15 of that was just sitting after the injection. Treated myself to some good BBQ for lunch and stopped at a couple of vineyards on the way back. All in all not a bad day.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post

BTW, he's doing fine, locked away in his room playing video games for 10 days with us shoving food under the door...
    A lot of pancakes and pita bread.

Quote Originally Posted by mazdaP5 View Post
    A lot of pancakes and pita bread.
    Tortillas, fruit rollups (unrolled, of course), thin sliced sandwich meat. A 10 year old's dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    There were 9 station in my area but only 3 including myself were in use. In and out in less than 20 minutes and 15 of that was just sitting after the injection.
    That is the biggest problem, they set up facilities to handle a bunch of people, then put restrictions on who can use them. So not enough people know, so the capacity then goes unused. Not saying I have a good answer, but there has to be a better way!

Kyle your right about the testing.
    One of our daughters, her husband and both kids got exposed during a family Christmas party. As soon as they found out they went and got tested. All came back negative. Mom and dad felt crummy for a few days but her husband’s condition worsened and a second re-test came back positive. My daughter subsequently got the antibody test and yep she had it too. The kids weren’t impacted.
    Over here in Cherokee county the schools closed for short period not because of the kids but lack of teachers and subs. What does that tell ya??
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Some people contract it (and spread it) entirely without personal symptoms. Sort of a COVID Marys.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Some people contract it (and spread it) entirely without personal symptoms. Sort of a COVID Marys.
    Perhaps one of the the best arguments for getting the vaccination.