Thread: Moving Beyond the pilot's Operating Manual

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I like to see myself as real in terms of timing. What happened with my taxes in 1978 after I sold my only house I saw as an audit. I decided to fly close to home like the other EEA guys. I still faced my lack of flying hours in a small private aircraft. AI flights to San Marcos 25 miles down the road just did not pan out so--why not grab my untrusty Freedom 2.4 that MS-FS 2020 forced me to assign all the buttons and sliders on. Why not test the AI on the Japan flight with all the hoopla? All right--nothing to lose. The AI just flys straight off the runway and continues on ignoring the course as shown obviously on the 2D map.

The Freedom 2.4 with my new lessons from Arizona , on this sim, about choosing a fixed throttle and sighting a constant glare shield to horizon height held a lure I did not chase the airspeed. I learned that from the flying lesson as FS-X had faded for me. Really bumpy up there and the wind out of the gaps between islands was anything but divine. So I sometimes have to wake up the joystick as it seems to go asleep or is it the wireless dropping out? I got to see Mount Fuji on a cloudless day. Then as supper time came I had to (ESC) and let the sim pause to make salad and pour my drink of water mixed with about 1/3 fruit juice. It rejoined the flight just as I had left it after that and the time to the fish course being ready gave me a short passage over the spine going out to the sea on the shoulder of Fuji.

This morning I read about the passing of the chairman of Fanuc robotics who had pioneered some of the NC machines. He had placed his company on the shoulder of Fuji. No mention was made of GM-FANUC that had created a joint effort in a new building in Troy, Michigan. I once had walked over that way as part of my keeping it real. I got diverted by a new Lucas facility and turned in there to chat about some robots I had seen in a German VFW brochure. The receptionist suggested I talk to Kipp. He sent me to Tom Werner at Vickers and he after awhile sent me to Sperry where they had a very noisy printer.

After dinner I woke up the sim before first waking up my joystick and classically the failure mode of zero latency gave me a windscreen full of terrain and uncertain as to just which way was up. Now the latency as I watched the screen go to "you have damaged your landing gear." I did not realize that is what had happened until this morning as I was trying to establish a heart rate of 100, constant while jogging with variable strike for higher and more steps very short for lower. I had jumped first to the FINAL after a takeoff and on a second to APPROACH to get logged and watching it land in AI on the wrong runway off in the dirt to the left side. Next time I will wake up my joystick before pressing the screen button for FLY and restarting the sim from a pause. My keyboard pause button only switches from cockpit view to tail on outside view as if I used ALT on the main and END on the numeric pad.
    Last edited by 2ndsegment; 10-17-2020 at 10:31 AM. Reason: improvement in cognition