Thread: Steel headaches or Morton sticker shock?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I helped my cousins put up a Cuckler steel "pole barn" building with a crippled girder center and other wise wrapped channel main uprights and roof beams. Getting the site flat was the first major act. We tore down an old stone wall and used the flat flag stones to avoid settling of fill on a corner. A John Deere orchard tractor with front bucket was used to raise the two "cripple girder" sections. It had been a demonstrator at the New York State Fair my uncle bought at a discount and the "J" bolts to attach the uprights to pour concreted piers were missing and had to be ordered. One of the uprights had a angle tab broken off and I had to use my acetylene welding skills to arc weld it to the upright. The biggest problem we had was pouring the floor after the building was up and the mixer could not get through the door and an improvised chute was too weak to move the mix to the rear. Shovels and wheel barrows was way too much hustle for two guys to avoid a demurrage on the delivery mixer. Insulation was minimal for a cidar mill that was used mostly in the fall. House portion I only know about vinyl siding on a two story house on a ridge with walkout basement downslope. My uncle was a volunteer fireman and did the three story rear on ladders. He never came down just stayed up and jumped the ladder along to cover the rear.
    Last edited by 2ndsegment; 05-18-2020 at 10:05 AM.