Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeP View Post
What's on your wish list for aircraft types at this year's Oshkosh? It is a significant WWII commemoration year, so let's aim high!
This is Oshkosh (or the EAA). I'm afraid there is no point in wishing for particular types, since the EAA don't book anything. We just have to wait and see what turns up. And while I believe some owners pre-announce their participation to the EAA (or Warbirds of America), those lists are kept secret. Same for the VAA.
Instead we just get vague announcements saying this year's airshow will be the airshow to end all airshows, and the airboss has finally come to their senses. And see, this marketing trick has worked again. After 13 visits I was not planning to return to Oshkosh until the C-97 was properly flying, but now I'm thinking I should not miss that airshow to end all airshows. So I may well still decide to fly across the Atlantic again, to probably watch the same P-51s and F4Us as every year again (with all due gratitude to the owners who bring their aircraft every year).
Of course I'd like to see the A-20 take part in the flying display, or the AF1 Connie that will apparently be ready by the summer. But the A-20 has already come and collected a prize, and the same owner's other aircraft don't take part in the flying displays either. Taking the Connie on a bombing run may be too fanciful even for the airboss. I'm not counting on any of the West Coast or East Coast Luftwaffe types, their owners just don't do Oshkosh. I'll settle for Rudy Frasca's radial-engined Fiat G.46 then, I've never seen that. (PS I know it's postwar, but it could fool the masses.)

Roger