Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
4 blade prop on an SBD?
Yep, that's the major one. It's also showing gun flashes come out of the wing roots of the SBD (Dauntless' forward-firing guns were on top of the cowl) and what looks to be a P-51 going down in flames in the background (Floats should be happy).

The Zero at the top of the image has a two-bladed prop, but assuming the artist were depicting the Zeke conversions of the T-6, that's accurate.

I don't think the SBDs carried wing bombs at Midway; too far to fly.

I had originally thought the markings were wrong (was expecting the red dot in the middle of the star) but the dot had been eliminated about a month prior to the battle. Probably were planes at Midway that still had it, but the poster would be correct.

The bow on the carrier in the background doesn't match any of the Japanese carriers at Midway...they all had a flight deck mounted high above a lower hull. This could be intended to represent the Yorktown, although the clipper bow is far too aggressive. The bow looks a bit like the Shinano, although I believe it was still a battleship (under construction) at this point.

Ron Wanttaja