Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Scholler Improved Camping

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    "
    That's what I thought too for my first trip to Osh. Then realized the hour each way meant no running back and forth to take a break or come back at night for show/presentation. Camping is trading the pool and a/c for being able to see the whole show you drove 1000 miles for."

As a long time tram volunteer I'm either working 8-2 or 2-8 or both on days when I double shift. At AirVenture I mostly just work or wander the grounds for a few hours off-shift. Sadly, no pool at my 1950's era stabbin' cabin motel - lol - I'm not even a pilot but I've enjoyed a life-long passion for airplanes and flight and wouldn't trade the experience or personal expense of working Oshkosh for the world.
    I totally see us transitioning to glamping in an RV or 5th wheel at some point.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

My beef is traveling for 2 days to spend a relaxing time enjoying Airventure and spending time catching up with friends seen once a year at the camp site, only to be greeted by campers running their LOUD stand alone generator's from 6am -10:30pm even when they are not there. They set them up so they have piece and quiet in the front of their campers and place them in the back directing the noise and fumes right into my site. So disturbing trying to yell over them in conversation, or catch a short nap before heading back to the grounds. Not to mention what the continuous dBA's does to the hearing. I'd suggest if they want to run them continuously from am to pm, go to 24 generator area where no one will notice. Since the early 80's, never had a problem until they started pushing us out. We loved being in the far back half. We are a group of campers from tent to MH. Sorry but that's my gripe. LOVE LOVE LOVE everything else.

Of course it's the cash cow. You think your pathetic dues keeps the organization afloat? Between the EAA and the EAA foundation (last report I saw) they make about 2 million on a ten million gross at Osh.

Quote Originally Posted by Monica View Post
    My beef is traveling for 2 days to spend a relaxing time enjoying Airventure and spending time catching up with friends seen once a year at the camp site, only to be greeted by campers running their LOUD stand alone generator's from 6am -10:30pm even when they are not there. They set them up so they have piece and quiet in the front of their campers and place them in the back directing the noise and fumes right into my site. So disturbing trying to yell over them in conversation, or catch a short nap before heading back to the grounds. Not to mention what the continuous dBA's does to the hearing. I'd suggest if they want to run them continuously from am to pm, go to 24 generator area where no one will notice. Since the early 80's, never had a problem until they started pushing us out. We loved being in the far back half. We are a group of campers from tent to MH. Sorry but that's my gripe. LOVE LOVE LOVE everything else.
    But Monica, it is the "Sound of Oshkosh." Just kidding, that's why I always park in the 24 hour area. Glenn
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

My hope is that the guy with the LOUD Chinese generator with the loose rod parks in the middle of the 24 hour area and runs his 24x7

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    I can't agree with EAA's push to make tenters even more miserable by sticking them further out so they can collect even more money from the rich. Put the motorhomes and 50 foot fifth-wheels out by the road where it's no big deal for them to ride their Harleys and golf carts to the gate.
    I completely agree.......But notice....none of the EAA moderators will comment on this thread.....but they will jump in on any other thread.

I've never camped with a generator before but this year we plan to bring a "Honda" gererator to use with my vintage, hard side pop up. We have a spot picked out that we used in 2016, no one on one side, no one in front and no one behind us. It was a "fer piece" from everything but relatively quite so, if it's open this year, that's where we're headed. Don't know anything about the 24 hr. camping spots, do they allow pop ups, is it more expensive or would we just be out of place ? LOL
    Bob

I think the only restriction on the 24 hour generator area is no tents (presumably this means on the ground, rather than those as sides of a popup).

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    I think the only restriction on the 24 hour generator area is no tents (presumably this means on the ground, rather than those as sides of a popup).
    And that's part of my grumble. Some members of our OSH family bring their tents. In order to remain as a family, we are being forced to camp in the back 40 about as far from the showers as you can get, or set up a base camp in the 24 hour area and have the tenters commute back and forth. I have never felt the need to run my generator (Honda) after 10:30 PM. (Well there was that one year that the AC would have been nice) Otherwise I use it for the lights in the evening and to keep my battery charged. At least they could put a couple of those portable shower trailers out by the south gate

Quote Originally Posted by Brianb52 View Post
    My hope is that the guy with the LOUD Chinese generator with the loose rod parks in the middle of the 24 hour area and runs his 24x7
    I think I was next to that guy last year over by 29th and Cottenwood. Seems that area is now the only Non-generator area in the entire camp. I havbe a generator in my motorhome but i only run it for a while if it's really hot before lights out. Last year, that area was General Camping but they now have the water and electric sites moving that direction. Anyone know if the Semi Trailer parking for vendors is still inside Camp Scholler? Last year, they took up a lot of camping area around the south gate. That's a great area to camp if you ride a bike over to the Ultralight area. Might ask that in a new thread.
    Marty