Thread: Nice November Morning

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rosiejerryrosie View Post
    I'm based at Bermudian Valley. Didn't know it was a short field
    True story. The local designated examiner flew into Bermudian one day to give a checkride to a local student and ran off he end of the runway, converting his rigid nosewheel into a retractable. Took about a month to get it repaired and off the field. I took my check ride with him about three months later. After a relatively easy checkride he said "Lets go park it and I'll fill out the paperwork". I asked, "What? No short field landings?", and he replied, "THIS IS A SHORT FIELD!". Gave me a chuckle, knowing the history....
    That's just plain (plane?) funny there!

It's 2200ft of grass.....I guess it depends on what you're flying. That's a short field in my book. I was taught to operate by the POH value +50% (+100% if runway is wet, grass, downsloping, etc) just to be safe.

Back then THV was about 4,200 feet, some students needed all of that to land the mighty C-150 during training
    I can beat that. One of the other students of my old CFI (now departed) famously ate up the entire 8,200 feet of RWY 5 at KMBS during his first solo landing (in a 172). Needless to say, there was much good natured ribbing and some remediation after that.
    Last edited by steveinindy; 11-29-2011 at 12:27 PM.