Glad to head it Dale! I feel that with the significantly low prices of CNC machines, relatively low cost of computer software in 2018, why can't / haven't there been an effort to convert these plan's only aircraft to digital file formats that could be cut out on a CNC machine and assembled? I saw a good discussion going some years back discussing this concept and it took a turn towards creating an open source aircraft (not sure what came of that).

Even if 1/4 - 1/3 of the time could be removed from a 1000hr build time it would be well worth it for the community. I would think EAA as an organization would even want to lead the charge on this concept increasing, consistency, decreasing cost and build time. It seems like it would lead to a larger pool of aircraft owners and increased safety.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
Charles, I know where you're coming from! I'll need to cut out a pile of plywood nose ribs. I already HAVE a CNC router, it would be child's play to cut them on that - if only I had the file. I have one, actually, but it's for a Shopbot (I think) in some oddball format that I haven't been able to translate into anything useful.

I know it would be less tedious to cut them on the CNC machine, and I know they'd all be exactly the same. Plus, I like to play with the machine.