Thread: Light Sport

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    Frank logged time flying an ultralight did NOT count towards any certificate. Never has never will. If the FAA would have allowed this then things may be a bit different from what we see today.
    We're both right and wrong.

Looks like it counted if one logged before 2013, when they ended the permission. Why they put a time limit on it is beyond me.

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...#se14.2.61_152

§61.52 Use of aeronautical experience obtained in ultralight vehicles.
    (a) Before January 31, 2012, a person may use aeronautical experience obtained in an ultralight vehicle to meet the requirements for the following certificates and ratings issued under this part:

(1) A sport pilot certificate.

(2) A flight instructor certificate with a sport pilot rating;

(3) A private pilot certificate with a weight-shift-control or powered parachute category rating.

(b) Before January 31, 2012, a person may use aeronautical experience obtained in an ultralight vehicle to meet the provisions of §61.69.

(c) A person using aeronautical experience obtained in an ultralight vehicle to meet the requirements for a certificate or rating specified in paragraph (a) of this section or the requirements of paragraph (b) of this section must—

(1) Have been a registered ultralight pilot with an FAA-recognized ultralight organization when that aeronautical experience was obtained;

(2) Document and log that aeronautical experience in accordance with the provisions for logging aeronautical experience specified by an FAA-recognized ultralight organization and in accordance with the provisions for logging pilot time in aircraft as specified in §61.51;

(3) Obtain the aeronautical experience in a category and class of vehicle corresponding to the rating or privilege sought; and

(4) Provide the FAA with a certified copy of his or her ultralight pilot records from an FAA-recognized ultralight organization, that —

(i) Document that he or she is a registered ultralight pilot with that FAA-recognized ultralight organization; and

(ii) Indicate that he or she is recognized to operate the category and class of aircraft for which sport pilot privileges are sought.

[Doc. No. FAA-2001-11133, 69 FR 44865, July 27, 2004, as amended by Amdt. 61-125, 75 FR 5220, Feb. 1, 2010]
    Joe,

I am just wowed at the creation and implementation of Light Sport rules - it's one case where the government came up with a pretty darn good solution to a problem and even solved a few more that were ancillary to the issue.
    It made aviation a whole lot more affordable to me, and fit my needs as ideally as if I had written them myself.
    Last edited by Sam Oleson; 10-05-2017 at 09:10 AM.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.