Thread: Don't Miss Ken Burns tv Vietnam Special

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Don't Miss Ken Burns tv Vietnam Special

This is a must see, Ken Burns if you saw his programs on the Civil War, you know how good they are. It's free, 8 pm e t, 6pm here channel 6. It started 2 nights ago and will run 3 more nights this week and then finish with 5 next week. One warning, this is serious stuff, it's not Lone Ranger on his white horse or John Wayne in his jaunty beret with catchy music. This is bombs and bodies, so might not be best for young kids.
    There are people here too young to really know Vietnam, but I studied it in college, was in the Air Force then, and still learned some new things. The 1st night goes all the way back to 1858, and up through the French in the 50s. Flying wise that's C-47s, which I love and dont want to see anyone shoot no matter whose it is, and Bearcats, so rare now, and C-119 which I have a hard time getting into. The 2nd night gets into the helicopter war in 61-62. If you think you know all this, try this question and think before you see my answer: was Ho Chi Min enemy or ally? Well, believe it or not he was an Ally in 40s to join us in fighting against Japan. Burns has even a video of a U S airdrop of OSS medics out of a C-47 to treat Ho Chi Min when he was ill and may have saved his life. OSS is predecessor of CIA. Burns finds news clips and personal interviews and puts a human face on history. The reviews say this will break your heart and fill your mind.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 09-19-2017 at 08:56 AM.