Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post

The same operator that does the North 40 restaurant (Major Goolsby) runs the Vintage Cafe. There's also a Subway stand and the Machine Shed operates the Hangar Cafe and the Ultralight area food concession. Vintage itself operates the Tall Pines Cafe (much improved this year) which serves breakfast daily and also serves a few other meals prior to the show opening to pick up the slack from the other outlets.
Ron,

I'm not talking about up there. I'm talking about SOUTH of the SEAPLANES. There is NOTHING down there.

Don't know why on this one. It's a hike to the Red Barn in Scholler from Vintage.

Show me on an AirVenture map a store where I can buy a bag of ice SOUTH of the SEAPLANES.

I've never noticed a shortage of portapotties in Vintage until the past two years. They switched contractors and while the portapotty units are nicer they seem to have less of them and serviced less frequently (and prior to the show opening many were not even equipped with blue water). They got better over the year this year but still it wasn't what it used to be.

The new shower trailers behind the hangar cafe was really nice, there's still the old permanent shower house behind the red barn area. They did as part of the "Green Acres" improvement this year put a nicer set of trailers down at the south end of vintage (I think they were one of the flush toilet trailers).

The major issue with PERMANENT facilities is that there isn't water or sewer in Vintage. There are a few wells which are pretty lousy and the gray water from the shower buildings/trailers just go into cisterns that get pumped out during the show.

Don't know what the issue is here. We've got trams for a good part of it and busses after the trams stop. We've even got Tony's Taxi if needed.
Actually, that is the only thing I did see enough of, porta potties. Ron, you have glossed over the area I am talking about. SOUTH of the SEAPLANES is where people are parked with nearly non-existent facilities. The showers you talk about are a 20 minute walk from where they wanted to park me in VAC. Just like the penthouse on the 50th floor, close but not close enough. None of the shower houses I have used in Camp Scholler are connected to the sewer system. I haven't been in the North 40 enough the last 20 years to pay attention to it, they may be on the sewer but that is two shower houses out of about 10. Cistern usage isn't a valid reason not to have permanent showers down SOUTH of the SEAPLANES. Last year I was camped around row 77 or so (I'd have to look at my prop card) and it was still a bit of a walk to your much vaunted trailers. Heck, you can't even get a cup of coffee until you make it to the Vintage Café.

Trams? Busses? Where is the bus when I need to go volunteer at 0530? Yes, I have to be up and out even earlier if I'm down SOUTH of the SEAPLANES. Or when I finish up for the day at 2330? Yes, I have long days at OSH. The sheer distance from my Volunteer job contributed to my decision, along with the distance from events I need to attend North of the airport.

The more I think about this the more I might just go back to hauling my camper up and leave the airplane at home. Who needs another show plane any way?