Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
Ron, have you tried nose cancelling ear buds? I was wondering how the plugfones compare... I've been using Audio Technica NC earbuds which claim "up to 20dB" noise reduction under my leather helmet, but the plugfones claim 25db.
I have tried them, and the ANL works. Big problem is, I've apparently got tiny ear canals, and the hard rubber ear pieces are uncomfortable. But the ANL effect is noticeable.

One of our Fly Baby guys uses ANL ear buds, and is very happy with them.

I'm not sure if the Plugfones actually have more noise reduction than the ANL ear buds. It's hard to quantitize...especially when I haven't flown with the ANL buds for over a year. :-)

Wouldn't hurt to try out the Plugfones; they're just $25 or so. Free shipping if you buy two or more sets. They've also got the replacement plugs, $8 for five pair. I've got backup sets in the airplane just in case.

The one drawback I've found with the Plugfones is that they're more likely to get blocked by skin flakes or ear wax. They have a driver element the same size of a normal ear bud, but a tapering horn at the end to make them skinny enough to fit in the foam plug. Best to check, before you put them on. I actually plug my ear buds into my cell phone before mounting up in the airplane just to check that they're working. Try THAT with your David Clarks...

Ron Wanttaja