Thread: Reparing Crumpled Aluminum

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BertP View Post
    Hi All,

I recently purchased a damaged home built (Cessna 182 copy) and I am looking for some advice on what to do with it. Specifically, I am trying to answer the following questions:

1. How does one determine if a sheet of aluminum on an aircraft is fixable or not? I have been told that aluminum doesn't tolerate having dents, etc bashed out of it the way you might fix the fender of a car. Is this true?
    2. Assuming that the aluminum can be straightened, what tool(s) would a person use to bash the dents out? I was thinking of something like an air hammer (on gentle) with a soft head might do the trick but I can't seem to find such an animal.
    3. I haven't taken the wing apart yet (it is one of the damaged parts) so I don't know if anything inside is damaged or if this is strictly a surface issue. How can a person tell if the damage is more extensive (spar, ribs, etc)? Yes, I do intend to get help from my local EAA chapter but I would like to figure out as much as possible before I invite anyone over to do an inspection. I don't want to waste anyone's time.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Bert
    Bert,

You really need to spend some quality time with AC 43.13-1B (especially Chapter 4) and perhaps some time with an A&P mechanic that specializes in sheet metal. Some aluminum can be gently worked with a shot bag and small plenishing hammers. Working aluminum is typically performed as an incremental process. It also depends a great deal on the alloy and temper of the aluminum as well as the type of damage as to whether you need to add doublers or splices, gently hammer it back to shape, or replace it. All of AC 41.13 is available for free on line in .pdf format, or can be purchased in book form. As an aircraft repairman, this is your bible for acceptable practices.

-Cub Builder
    Last edited by cub builder; 03-14-2016 at 01:18 PM.