Quote Originally Posted by dusterpilot View Post
I am in the process of painting an experimental right now using latex paint. I'm using a mixture of a cup of washer fluid and ½ cup of Floetrol blended with a quart of paint using a 4-inch foam roller and a 2-inch foam brush where the roller doesn't reach. The paint is going on very smoothly with no brush marks showing. The paint mixture goes a very long way (I think the entire aircraft may take about a gallon) and it is drying very quickly. It won't be the quality of a $3,000 paint job but it will look great from 25 feet, will cost only about $300, saves LOTS of time, and may be lighter weight than a standard paint covering. It will be easy to touch up, if needed in the future. What will the quality and looks be like in 10-15 years? I don't know. Ask me then.
I used this process on my Little Wing gyroplane with very satisfactory results. The paint has been on the plane for a couple of years now, and I'm satisfied. As you say, not a $3000 paint job, but it serves the purpose. Had to replace a small piece of fabric after the initial application, and the repair can't be distinguished from the original part.