Page 16 of 46 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Sport Aviation Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Jensen View Post
    Sport Aviation is no different, and in order to keep it going, there needs to be a spot in there for everyone.
    Chad, This is what has me worried. Just as an example, I have been a subscriber to Old Cars & Parts magazine for over 20 years. It was a great magazine that focused on exactly the kind of automotive work I am interested in. Last fall it was eliminated & the content was rolled into a conglomeration of several magazines published by Amos Automotive Publishing called "Auto Enthusiast". The majority of the new magazine has nothing I am interested in, the content I am interested in has been reduced to approx 30 pages, if you don't count the ads it is less than 10. I am not renewing this year, I have decided to subscribe to Hemmings Classic Car instead.

I am afraid this is the direction Sport Aviation is headed.

Now I am not a member of EAA for the magazine (Well, in a way I am as the online access to the old issues is a great help with my research) but to many the magazine is the public face of EAA, and the content WILL influence membership numbers.

Chad and Hall are to be commended for their steadfast support of EAA's position. From the information they have provided, it appears that experimenters, homebuilders, ultralight flyers, & maybe even sport pilots, currently represent a 1/3rd minority in the organizational membership. If that is the case, we can expect a minority's share of Sport Pilot. It has to be so because the 2/3rd's wants and needs must be met or those members will drop out. The 2/3rds group seems to be the growing segment of EAA, so that is where the organizational emphasis will be.

I am very grateful for EAA's advocacy role in promoting and protecting our right to build and fly light airplanes, and I will continue my membership to support that advocacy. At the same time, I am watching for another homebuilder-, light sport-oriented organization to emerge. If one does, I will support it too with the hope that it might become what EAA used to be.

In the meantime, let's enjoy what "experimental" remains in the EAA.

Don DeWitt

[QUOTE=Chad Jensen;4701] Another issue is the fact that so much homebuilding information is available at the stroke of a key on the Internet, that all publications are suffering in print form. QUOTE]

Unfortunately you are assuming that the information given over the "internet" is sound. This I believe to be a serious flaw in the current culture surrounding anything engineering wise, and yes that includes homebuilts. There is so much mis-information, biased information and just plain BS being promoted via the "web", and reliable sources seem to keep drying up for the average person. Thats what the old sport aviation seemed to be, it was the link between the professional aeronautical engineer, and the garage ( or hangar ) engineer. Almost a trade magazine of sorts. A way to convey sound information to all levels of aircraft designer and builder. That took technical people writing articles, and technical people doing the editing and publishing. To me that is the part that is missing currently. Maybe this is what the majority want? Maybe the old technical articles would be over the heads of the 2/3's of SA readers nowdays? In any event it seems that the loss of a mainstream publication with real technical articles has forced many new homebuilders to sift through the internet, and thats a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Novak View Post
    There is so much mis-information, biased information and just plain BS being promoted via the "web", and reliable sources seem to keep drying up for the average person. Thats what the old sport aviation seemed to be, it was the link between the professional aeronautical engineer, and the garage ( or hangar ) engineer. Almost a trade magazine of sorts. A way to convey sound information to all levels of aircraft designer and builder. That took technical people writing articles, and technical people doing the editing and publishing. To me that is the part that is missing currently.
    Not just on the web, I subscribe to another popular magazine aimed at homebuilders & I have seen things in it that have glaring errors & have obviously not been peer reviewed. The type of articles being written for our "industry" should in my opinion be subject to peer review and the editing staff should have some technical knowledge to avoid errors, because in this field a error in print could kill someone.

Unfortunately you are assuming that the information given over the "internet" is sound.
    True...there are plenty of places on the internet to get sound information. Being an EAA member and having access to thousands of archived articles is a huge plus...and very sound information. Hints for Homebuilders is another excellent place to get sound information, and watch it happen in front of you over the course of 4 or 5 minutes, rather than waiting a month for a hint or two to be read in the magazine. Webinars...one a week is broadcast, and only experts on subjects are presenters.

These are the things that I'm talking about. Various forums are a fantastic place to share information, energy, enthusiasm, and I truly believe that users of such forums know to take the information they receive for what it's worth.

The magazine is EAA's flagship, and as a flagship it has to include things all of our members are interested in. The homebuilding content is still there, and in fact the coverage should get better in the future. With only one issue a month, it's hard to wait until the next one to see what's new, but that's part of the charm of a print magazine...I know it is for me anyway.

If we want a magazine to go back to nothing but technical articles and how-to's, we just have to get rid of the internet and all of it's information.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

If we want a magazine to go back to nothing but technical articles and how-to's, we just have to get rid of the internet and all of it's information.
    Hey I'm all for that!

Btw Aaron, looking forward to meeting you at the next Chapter meeting!
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Btw Aaron, looking forward to meeting you at the next Chapter meeting!
    Same here, should be fun! And dont get me wrong, I know why things change, but for the seemingly dying breed of us technical guys, its just another "nail in the coffin".

Question

Same here, should be fun! And dont get me wrong, I know why things change, but for the seemingly dying breed of us technical guys, its just another "nail in the coffin".
    Don't take this the wrong way, but I am inclined to question why a 'technical guy' has to depend on a magazine for his info....
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by rosiejerryrosie View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way, but I am inclined to question why a 'technical guy' has to depend on a magazine for his info....
    Even professional engineers read trade publications to see what new products area available, and maybe get ideas for new or different ways of doing things. This is no different.