Thread: Fair unknowns

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ssmdive…a few points

You’ve made a couple comments like this…

But the ones that say I 'irritate' them, or claim I want it 'given to me' or claim I must lack 'basic skills' are the ones that stick out and close the sport to people who think they may want to try it.
    …but I think you’re getting that from my original post. I said it, not anyone else. So if you have to carry that grudge, carry it against me, not the others on here who have offered advice. Internet chat boards are difficult places to get across a nuanced explanation; poor choice of words on my part. Please don’t taint the good advice being offered here with my mistake.

To clarify: Your record as a skydiver shows that you’re willing to work. That’s not at all what I’m implying. What I’m saying is what most everyone on this thread is saying “Yes, you can compete in Sportsman in the 7ECA. It will be challenging. Finishing “in the wood” will also be a challenge, particularly if a competent pilot shows up in an Unlimited-capable airplane. But you CAN do it. Practice hard, know your airplane, be a dedicated competitor and learn what you can, and you will do well. We’re confident in you….we don’t bring up Giles Henderson to put you down but to say “with work, it can and has been done.”

So that’s why it is a little “off-putting” when your response is that you basically want the category simplified and better pilots/planes eliminated to make it easier for the 7ECA. You did well in Primary; why do you think with more work you wouldn’t do well in Sportsman? The solution shouldn’t be to eliminate everyone else to make your plane more competitive.

A few other points….

On Henderson winning Sportsman in a clipped Cub, others have provided that info. Yes, he showed up to that competition in the Cassutt, but look at his percentage. Nobody else in any category did that. Since you keep asking for data (which I would submit we have been giving you), I would rest my case on his record alone, since the clipped J-3 is arguably a less capable airplane than an ECA. So by your own rules, you should beat him any day in your mount, right?

All that said…I hope to see you someday in the box. Seriously, come on out to the IAC East Championships in Ohio in June and compete in the 7ECA. We had 16 total competitors across all categories last year so I’m sure you’d have a more comfortable field. We’d love to see you come out and play with us, and hey…you’d be competing in the championships! Pretty cool stuff.

http://iac34.com/15801.html
    Last edited by WeaverJ3Cub; 04-24-2014 at 08:21 PM.
    Classic airplanes at historic Red Stewart Airfield, Waynesville, OH: http://s1075.beta.photobucket.com/us...ic%20Airplanes