Thread: Learning to transition into ultralights

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jrees View Post
    Tony, thanks again for the info. I am hoping a 4 stroke will soon be available for UL flight, staying within 103 regs.
    If you are looking at factory-built 4-stroke 103 compliant airplane, you have 2 choices today: BYF and Belite.

BYF uses a smaller engine (they claim up to 40 hp, but you probably want to have a detuned version for longevity), is about the cheapest 103 you can buy new (about $20k). BYF meets the 103 weight by using un-aircraft-like construction techniques, and that made it rather controversial among the hardcore. Personally, I would fly it in a heartbeat.
    http://culverprops.com/BackYardFlyerUL.html

Belite only just now started shipping 1/2 WV craft. Since their engine is much heavier than BYF's, they had to use carbon fiber extensively, and they barely stay legal. You have to pay something like $40 or $50k for a toy like that, so it's really only for rich and very sick retirees who cannot even self-sertify for LSA, but do not want to settle for a glider. Excellent plane if you forget the price though.
    http://www.beliteaircraft.com/ultral...s/UltraCub.php

There used to be a Gull with HKS 700E from the factory, but those folks are always on and off experimenting (their current hobby is electric power). A Gull was also expensive like 4-stroke Belite.

Since even BYF was too expensive for me, I found an ultralight-like N-numbered experimental with HKS 700E. So far it was a pleasurable experience, although I pranged it on the 2nd flight. It was purely because of inept piloting on my part and I do not think any less of ultralights and very light LSAs because of that. HKS unit has good reputation, but unfortunately it's more expensive than 1/2 WV. My overhaul reserve is about $18/hr (my 700E is actually TBO-extended to 800 hours by s#, which would make $11/hr, but I am not sure it's going to last), while 1/2 WV Hummel would set you back to $9/hr, even if you buy new. This is comparable to an overhaul reserve on O-200, I think.

I really think that an N-numbered Kolb Firefly with a 4-stroke power would be ideal. I saw ads for such with 1/2 WV, Valley's Twin (the BYF engine), and of course with HKS 700E. Do not shy from experimentals. You're a member of EAA, aren't you?

P.S. From what I know about Legal Eagle, it's fully awesome too, but I'm less familiar with it, sadly. Also, they are very rare (much fewer were completed than Fireflies), and the asking prices are often rather wild. You need to know the type well before buying.
    Last edited by zaitcev; 12-06-2013 at 03:06 PM.