Thread: Choosing a project

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Choosing a project

Hello everyone,

I've been wanting to build a plane for quite a while and am at a point where I'd like to get a start this winter. I'm trying to make my decision and was hoping for some advice for my particular requirements and questions.

What I am looking for in a project is:

1. A project. I enjoy building things and this is my first requirement.
    A. Any material except wood.
    B. Needs to be kind of quiet as I am living in a duplex (no hammering rivets).
    C. Need to be able to do a lot of the work in a large 1-car garage. Major assembly will obviously have to be done somewhere else
    D. Plans or kit is fine as long as it meets other requirements (plans helps a lot with #2)

2. Something I can afford. I'm thinking that ~35k completed is my upper limit.

3. Something I will enjoy when it's done. It needs to do at least this.
    A. 2 seats
    B. Enclosed cockpit
    C. Capable of at least minimalist x-country (faster than 100mph TAS, 350+ lbs full fuel payload)
    D. Resale. (Would be nice to not have a total loss if I want to sell it to fund the next project)

4. Some things I would like (these are not all required, but various attributes I would like, individually or in combination)
    A. Fast (150+mph)
    B. Aerobatic (I've never done this, but it looks fun)
    C. Off-airport landings
    D. Capable of floats later on
    E. Larger useful load
    F. Great visibility

Now, the main designs that I'm considering:

Sonex
    Construction (pulled rivets should be quiet enough), speed, mild aerobatic capability, grass runways ok, good fuel mileage

Dislikes:
    Looks (though not that important), marginal 2 place, small fuel capacity, engine choices (I'm not completely comfortable with the idea of a VW, and the large Jabiru is kind of pricey)

Zenith CH 750 Cruzer
    Construction, Visibility, good useful load, can use many engines, could add floats or heavy duty gear for off-airport, lands short enough for me

Dislikes:
    Looks, wish it was a little faster, only the factory plane for a data point, might be boring to fly (will it feel like a C150?), bad fuel mileage

Zenith CH 650B

Looks like a good mix of the Sonex and CH 750 strengths, but maybe not enough faster than the 750 Cruzer to make up for losing the option of off-airport landings

Wittman Tailwind
    Speed, x-country ability, construction with the metal wing

Dislikes:
    Fabric means it needs to be in a hanger?, might be difficult to get much done in a small garage.

I also like the Kitfox, Just Aircraft, and others, but they are only available as quickbuild kits which blows my budget.

OK, any advice for how these designs fit into my requirements/desirements? Any designs that I have overlooked?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Iforgot; 10-14-2013 at 10:24 PM.