Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
Mentioned this project at EAA Chapter 26 last Thursday, and one of the members put me on to a local electronics store that carries a bunch of high-intensity LEDs. Bought a 5W unit that runs on 12V. They had a 10W unit, but it needed 30VDC and I figured you didn't want to pack 20 AA cells. :-)

Got some other goodies with which I hope to gimmick up a flasher. Perhaps by next weekend I'll be able to post a video showing the daylight visibility over a distance.

A local Boredom Fighter builder named Bill Sayre has been monitoring this conversation, and sent me some pictures of his dummy Vickers guns....Bill also sent me the schematic he used for the flasher circuit. It appears to mess with the control input of a standard voltage regulator chip. This works on Bill's incandescent bulbs, but I don't know if it'll work on a high-intensity LED. In the immortal words of Commander Montgomery Scott, "I'll let ye know."
Name:  gun_schematic.JPG
Views: 3510
Size:  75.6 KB

Ron Wanttaja
I built the circuit last night, didn't seem to work right with the high-intensity LED. I suspect that the timing is thrown off by using the LED vs. an incandescent bulb. The power draw is probably way less, and incandescent bulbs are somewhat self-regulating.

No matter. I'll rig up a 555 and use the LM317 as a switch for the LED (don't think the 555 can drive a 5W device directly).

Ron Wanttaja