Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jeff View Post
Let's take an other example which bothers me to not understand it. We have 20 kts headwind, airspeed 150. Headwinds change to 10 kts. Had this change occurred instantaneously, would it be a momentary change in airspeed? Of course groundspeed will increase 10kts. But what about airspeed?
Think of it this way: You're in your airplane, flying along. Imagine if you were in a giant bottle. The bottle is hurtling thru the atmosphere at 100 kts. Now the bottle starts flying thru space at 120 kts. You're still flying at the same airspeed as when you when you started, since the air around you hasn't changed. The change in headwind is not affecting your airspeed. The entire mass of air is travelling at that speed. Yes, it affects groundspeed, but YOU are still flying within that mass, then entire mass of which has changed, *not* just the air hitting your wings/prop/fuse/etc.

I haven't chimed in here before, but I'll agree with the others. The $50 or so you'll spend for an hour of groundschool with a seasoned instructor will pay huge benefits. I've been flying since 1978, and I *still* learn new ways to comprehend stuff from *every* instructor I use. Ask around to see who is good. Age is irrelevant. Some instructors are just better communicators than others. I've even learned stuff from this thread.